AWAKENED FROM THEIR ANCIENT SLUMBER! YOU WILL DIE! - 90%

maggotsoldier626, June 23rd, 2011

If you didn't know already, Evildead has reformed and played a local Los Angeles thrash festival about a year. This festival was Thrasho De Mayo. This is the first time I heard Evildead. They completely blew me away. So I went home did some research and found this album. It is amazing. It has all you could want in a thrash album. The riffs are great, not too complex, but not too simplistic either, and the album is loaded with them. The drums, they have just the right amount of variation, with some fills here and there and lots of clashing. The solos aren't far from spectacular. The bass isn't present as much, but there are a few riffs that are heard throughout the album. Last but not least, the vocals are sweet, a mixture of punk and thrash, they're just in your face constantly and are synched with the rhythms oh so well. The choruses are very catchy. The lyrics also have a lot of though put it, with most of them being about society.

The best songs on this release are F.C.I./The Awakening, Annihilation of Civilization, Future Shock, Gone Shooting, B.O.H.I.C.A., and if you have the re-issued version, Rise Above/Institutionalized. These tracks, all together, are weaved in and out of the album for a great thrashing of the senses. F.C.I./The Awakening starts off with a line from the movie of which the band is named, The Evil Dead. Then a mid-paced riff with a solo comes in, followed by a pure assault of thrashing greatness that is The Awakening. You are truly awakened after the intro. Next follow the self-titled track Annihilation of Civilization. You might've seen the video, it was directed by Jerry Allen, if you haven't seen it, it’s on YouTube. Anyways, this track is chock full of guitar talent and has lots of energy. Definitely a remember able riff. You can recognize it anywhere.

Now Future Shock is a phenomenal track. It has a small riff build up in the first moments of the song. Then the main riff switches constant roles of lead with the vocals. It is extremely catchy, if you don't like this song, you won't like Evildead. In the latter part of the song, is where the magic happens; this magic will leave you ripped and torn in the pit. It also has a slow intense build up. With a solo, then back to another chugging riff. All in all it might be the best track on the album. Gone Shooting starts off with a sample of what sounds like a car taking off like a bat out of hell. The riff is amazing with a constant ascent up the neck, making it one of the sickest thrash riffs ever. With the lead playing an assortment of fills in and out during the main riff, and a constant variations of the main riff makes this song a must listen to. B.O.H.I.C.A. is an awesome track. It also stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again, which is the chorus in the song. This is where you hear more of their punk influence. It could've as well been an S.O.D. song for all I know. It fits the album of so well. Now for their cover of Black Flag and Suicidal Tendencies, it's one of the best tracks I've ever heard. They blend the two classics together so perfectly. An awesome re-issue bonus I might add.

All in all, there isn't much of a downfall with this album. The album is very consistent. Not one single weak track. The tracks I didn't mention are also amazing songs. But I only mentioned the very best of the best. I recommend any song off this album will do if you want to check out Evildead. The one problem is the vocals; they aren't much of a stand out. They're just there, he is a good front man overall, but doesn't bring anything special to the table. That is why this album gets a 90 out of 100.