Back to the heydays of thrash! - 89%

apokalypze, June 1st, 2007

Imagine you had a magic portal that would take you back to the middle 80's. You walk through the light and find yourself standing in a record store. Taking a look around, your eyes catch a glimpse at something right in front of you; a selftitled vinyl lp with some obscure band called Evil Army. Despite its' somewhat ugly cover you get a strange feeling looking at it, so without further notice you pick it up and head over to the desk clerk, asking him to play it for you. He puts the vinyl on the player and hands you a pair of headphones. You put them on and anxiously await the first track, not really sure what to expect. And so it begins...

An intro consisting of a march-like drumbeat accompanied by some simple yet catchy guitarplay fills the void. It goes on for almost fourtyfive seconds until the titletrack starts with a bang. Suddenly all hell breaks loose and a completely relentless thrash attack kicks in.

Considering the nature of Evil Army, this could've been a possible scenario, save the part with the time portal. Now, what do I mean by that? Well, when it comes to the term 'oldschool', this band takes the cake. The sound is raw and uncompromising. Next to this, classics like "Kill'em All" or "Bonded by Blood" feel quite well polished and smooth in production. The song structure is also kept simple, short and to the point.

The guitarplay might not take home any awards in the technicality department. However, something it has no shortage of is catchiness. I think it's safe to say that if you don't appreciate the riffs on this record, you shouldn't listen to thrash metal at all. And if you think it ends there, just wait until the leads come into play. I don't recall hearing anything this catchy and energetic since.. well.. ever before. The bass is for most of the time hardly audible at all but I guess that doesn't come as a surprise. It's there though, working mainly as a backbone for the guitars. I'm okay with that.

The drummer makes a good job of what he has to work with. Like I said, the overall structure of this disc is kept simple. This doesn't prevent him from throwing some tasty fills and pattern changes that, while not interfering with the straightforwardness of the guitars, still makes this disc a more varied experience.

What about the vocals then? Well, the vocalist has a very harsh style of singing. His raspy voice is capable of spitting out lyrics in fast and aggressive manner, something that fits the rest of the music like a glove. Of course I've heard way better thrash vocalists, but still, he just seems like the right man for this particular job.

Another thing that goes for the music in general is the speed of which it's played. You won't be hearing a song on here that goes below 'fast' tempowise and quite often the songs are just blistering. Some people might find this intense, but then again, aren't one of the cornerstones of thrash metal the speed? It is for me at least.

There's not much more to say about this offering. If you like your thrash fast and catchy with a punk attitude, hunt down a copy of this disc. You won't be dissapointed. Simply put; this is one damn fine piece of thrash metal!

Highlights: Edge of Destruction/Evil Army, Realm of Death, Sergeant Says Kill, Watch Me Fall