Furious and demented thrash - 89%

The_Boss, November 25th, 2008

US's thrash powerhouse Epidemic, started off their career with a full on thrash onslaught that tore the boundaries of speed, something Slayer made famous for, which is obviously the influence to be found here on The Truth of What Will Be. Their 1989 debut is a solid slab of thrash with very little death metal influence, other than the slightly harsher vocals and song structure. Their progression with the following sophomore album, Decameron, is almost a full on death/thrash album, and then their 1994 release was a mish mash of awkward death metal that still flowed in the thrash territory. But here, is where we see Epidemic at their best, their rawest and their most powerful.

A very short release, 9 songs barely making 23 minutes beating Reign in Blood's time, Epidemic's debut is chunky and fast thrash metal much in the vein of Slayer. Hell, even vocalist Carl Fulli SOUNDS like Tom Araya... and it's obviously Guy Higbey is a huge Kerry King fan, with those trademark chaotic solos that sound more like a hyena being stuffed in a fan. Fulli can also go the psychopathic route where it simply sounds like he's just yelling random words into the microphone which I find both hilarious and awesome, see Finer Things in Life; it almost reminds me of when Steve Carrell was getting his chest waxed in the 40 Year Old Virgin.. "AAHAAHAHAH KELLY CLARKSON!" The laughing at the end is truely something I'd expect someone from a mental institution to do as well. The musicianship here is what I would expect from a thrash band; the guitars are a bit sloppy at times, but riffing otherwise is solid; did I mention this was fast?! There are slower mid-tempo breaks at times like in Three Witches which is what of the longer songs that would easily fit well on Slayer's South of Heaven. The bassist makes his presence known with loads of thundering basslines like the prominent In Fear We Kill.

The songs change between under 2 minute all out, guns blaring, thrash assaults; raping your heads like a panda skullfucking Erik Rutan as he rapes good death metal productions. Reminiscent of work found on Fastkill where it's just insanely fast thrash that is almost too hard to distinguish; Epidemic have made a niche for such, which I fucking love. The longer songs (the ones actually passing the 3 minute mark) are the more coherent, more structured songs that actually have pacing that shifts to mid-tempo, with ominious bass and leads that haunt your mind (I'm looking at you Silent Torture. My version is the combined song of the last 3 songs where it happens about 3 minutes in.

Epidemic are somewhat overlooked in the grand scheme it seems, pushed back in the overlying heap of Slayer records and lamer death metal outfits that worked their way into the mainstream. But it seems even Epidemic fell of the path later on in their career, but here on the debut The Truth of What Will Be, is where you can find Epidemic at their most insane, their best and most importantly, their thrashiest! I can't find much to complain with this, it's great Slayer worship that actually sticks out, if you can handle insane thrash with a demented vocalist then Epidemic's debut is for you.