Good, Rare EP - 83%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, February 28th, 2008

I believe this is one of the most overlooked EPs ever by a famous death metal band and not only. Maybe it’s because it was released between one excellent album (Left Hand Path) and a good one (Clandestine), but there’s no excuse if you don’t know this EP. Even if two songs out of three are not completely new (Bitter Loss is in the first album, while Crawl would have been on Clandestine), this EP is really a small gem.

The production is one of the rawest, essential they have ever had. It’s like listening to a Dismember album to me. The chainsaw guitars are always sharp and the vocals are truly brutal. “Crawl” is fantastic with the weird solos parts, the mid tempo and the characteristic riff. “Forsaken” is on raw up tempo with the “wood” sound of the snare drum. This song is powerful with a Grave touch for the production and the good bass sound. The final “Bitter Loss” is famous and fantastic with mosh up tempo.

Overall a good EP that should stay in every death metal fan’s collection but I prefer the debut Left Hand Path anyway, also for the production. A small gem. Very rare.