Perfect. - 100%

Wikingus, February 18th, 2005

I have a confession to make; when I first heard Monumension, I threw it across the room and didn't listen to it for about a year. I was disappointed in the new road that Enslaved was beginning to take as far as their style was concerned.
But now, I'm hooked.

It was with this album that the band took a radical new step in their career. The biggest influence for this album were definetly Pink Floyd, which Grutle and Ivar really got into, and decided to make something so radical, so completely different, that it would be a shock to their fans. But most of them loved it.

Some songs (like Hollow Inside) are as far away from metal as one can get. This particular song is a sort of prog-rock masterpiece, which hints at metal only at one point.
Other songs (like The Voices) retain their black metal sound, but with a progressive guitar twist.
The band also started experimenting with 70s style keyboard sounds, which opened an entirely new plain on which their music could be made.
The two songs I named, along with the epic, breath-taking and majestic first song, Convoys To Nothingness, are the tree best ones on the album, and basically, it would be an essential buy even if it included only these 3 songs.
There are also more songs on the album, they are awesome as well, but I have decided to go into details only with the titles which are the best for my taste.
The last song is Sigmundskvadet, performed by HOV. This is as close to real Viking music as you'd get in the genre of Viking metal. Great chanting through the whole song, along with a typically Norse clean vocal make this a winner all the way. It is also the only song on the album sung in Norwegian.

To top it off, the booklet is also amazing, explaning the band's view on neopaganism and the old Viking religion, as well as their method of a personal Ragnarok with the help of the runes. It is this concept that the album is built around, giving the already glorious songs a great lyrical foundation as well.

Essential stuff, but only for the non-narrow minded. This is nothing like Frost.