Lopsided - 75%

Heian, April 18th, 2004

I got my hands on this new single as soon as I could. For those of you who aren't familiar with Ensiferum, check out my review of their debut. They're an excellent Finnish band.

"Tale of Revenge" is the track off of Iron that we get to hear. I wish I could say otherwise, but I was a tad disappointed. It's got all the Ensiferum elements: a balance of vocals, folk melodies, and the mythological theme. There's some goofy vibrato power-metal-ish wailing in the middle that I wish wasn't there. It sounds almost identical to their debut, actually. It looks like Iron is going to sound almost exactly the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I kind of wish they'd tried to advance their sound more. The song will probably sound better in the context of the album.

The second track is a mind-blowing cover of "Battery". It's actually a fairly straightforward cover, but they throw in a few Ensiferum elements. It was a great song to start with and they make it rock even more.

So we have one mediocre song and one awesome cover (which reminds me of Children of Bodom's You're Better Off Dead! single). If you're a big fan and can find it for cheap, then you might as well pick it up. If your interest in the band is more casual then you should just wait for Iron to come out.