Once good, now odd. - 60%

oneyoudontknow, February 26th, 2009

When listening to this album again, one thing is for certain: it wears off over time. Back then, 1998/1999 when I was able to lay my hands on it, I can recall that it was able to fascinate me to a great deal and made me follow the band; even though no other of their albums ever entered into my possession. Yet like the first love, this CD stayed in my memory like a vague shadow and never ever wanted to leave it. From today's perspective though, I ask myself, what made me appreciate it in the first place.

One aspect that strikes me is the strange way the songs are actually arranged on this EP. While the quality of each of them is certainly on a good level, they do not really fit together in a sound and coherent way. Babalon Patralx de Telocvovim reminds rather on a compilation than a normal release. Maybe these tracks are, at least partially, leftovers from earlier recordings and did not found their onto these, yet seemed to be quite appropriate for this small 'appetizer'; close to seventeen minutes and five songs can hardly be described differently.

'Dirtiness' is a term that comes to the mind when describing the band's art and this facet can be found in the instruments as well as the vocals. The rhythm guitar and the voice of Wrath create this impression; it suits the music and gives it some form of an identity; the songs can easily identified amongst others. More difficult is the case when it comes to describe the actual art of the band and what of it can be found on this EP: a variety of different styles and influences can be identified: symphonic, melodic, aggressive and also some facets of the doom metal genre appear, but the Enochian Crescent switches ideas in (and between) the songs to a great deal; leaving the music in a state in which the listener is again and again confronted by something new. This keeps the music interesting, but the band is not able to keep the level up.

Bathory - Thirteen Candles
The cover version comes with two different vocals (some 'clean' growling and black metal croaking) and a much cleaner production than the original. It breathes the same atmosphere as the rest of Babalon Patralx de Telocvovim, which is somehow a sad thing to see/hear, because some additional dirtiness would have had a good effect on the cover version. In terms of the dynamic and speed it is pretty to close to the original. Due to the production the emphasis lies on the vocals rather than the guitars; like it happen to be in case of the original. Of the atmosphere of Bathory's version only parts of it could be created in the cover; it sounds somehow too nice and friendly.

Final bits and bytes
The music is not bad, just a little bit unconvincing or better said, how everything had been put into place leaves something to be desired. Especially the way Pestilence and Honey as well as A Mathilde end is quite odd, as it comes in each case rather abruptly and with the impression of being cut down for an inexplicable reason. Due to the absence of flow in the atmosphere on this release, in sensu that the compositions create such and to keep the music going, the listener has difficulties in really getting it; changes in the track list might help to overcome this issue... Anyway, maybe this EP can be recommended to those who want to give the band a first try but do not really know where to start at; to get a first impression on the art and to decide whether it would be something to enjoy on a larger scale.

Recommended: Vabzir Camliae