Beauty in its most confusing form - 80%

bryankerndrummer, March 9th, 2014

This is a band you either love or hate; there is no in-between. While reading this review, keep in mind that I'm a big fan of genres such as harsh noise and noisecore, so don't expect to be satisfied with this release if you can't put up with some intense noise influences.

This is another one of those bands that's good for all of the wrong reasons. A good paraphrasing of this band's sound is to say that it's as if they wanted to create a raw black metal release, but got someone who produces harsh noise to do the mixing and mastering job (the band says it themselves in the album's description that they tried to fuse in elements of harsh noise). And surprisingly, it fits perfectly. Everything about this band sounds so fitting in its entirety despite that it's probably some of the noisiest black metal you'll ever hear. The drums sound raw and something near tempo-less, ranging from sloppy grooves to destructive blast beats that leave you to wonder if the drummer even knows what he's doing. This is complemented by the shredding guitars, which, while retaining a more intelligible performance, sounds distant and unbalanced. The guitar riffs consistently transition from fast-paced grooves to generic black metal gallops, showing absolutely no sign of actually creating a solid flow or legitimate song structure (and that's a good thing).

Now, while the guitars and drums are quite amazing by themselves, I'd have to say that my favorite elements of this release are the vocals and the keyboards. The vocals, absolutely soaked in reverb and distortion, capture a smooth combination of traditional and modern black metal screams. These screams are executed absolutely perfectly, creating a tortured high screech that rings throughout the mix.

Despite all of this, this album would be nowhere near as good as it is without the pummeling oceans of distorted keyboards. Walls of noise and sounds of dysfunctioning machinery mercilessly shred through each "song" with a horrendous, sharp tone that could not be more perfect. I honestly can't imagine how bad this record would sound without it. And to add some breaks in the middle of all the chaos, there are even some songs comprised entirely of distorted keyboards and screaming.

Overall, this is a very good album that I highly recommend for fans of raw black metal who don't mind a bit of noise and kvlt kømedy with their tunes.

They Might be Funny, But they Ain't No Joke - 95%

Bestial_Onslaught, November 30th, 2006

Enbilulugugal is a band you either get or you don't get. If you get it, you're going to hear what's going on in the recording, but if you don't, well, you're in for an earache.

This band is, at the end of the day, very, very noisy Black Metal. It really is excellent stuff, with some great tunes once you get past the noise. So, those of you used to million-dollar-studio recordings are going to find this horrifically offensive. This music also has balls - which a lot of people also seem to find offensive these days.

The vocals are a really nice tortured wail that works great with all of the fuzz and static, he really knows how to screech without getting high-pitched and annoying. The guitar work is almost completely destroyed in the mix, but the riffs that I can pick out are inventive and refreshing. Drums, done by Rev, who's a great drummer, sound pretty cool when mixed into this noisy, noisy stuff.

All in all, this band is really a love it or a hate it deal - but if you like noisy, raw Black Metal instead of today's neo-romantic wanna-be crap, pick this album up, and play it really fucking loud.

They Hope You Fucking Hate It! - 0%

Scissors, January 29th, 2006

Enbilulugugal caught my eye with their unique name. They also had a cool image, so I thought I’d check them out. I figured it wasn’t too bad spending four bucks on a band I’d never heard. I was wrong! This is utter shit! You should be payed to listen to this! I have seriously never heard something so awful, and it really ruined my view of music for a little while. I almost vomited when I listened to them. Yes, it’s that bad. There is absolutely no organization to this! This is not music, this is noise! It sounds like a couple of guys got together, one banged random drums in a random order, another twanged random strings in a random order, and the third screeched random screeches in a random order! Complete chaos! There is no beat, rhythm, melody, harmony, or anything that constitutes MUSIC here. It’s the most immature piece of garbage I’ve ever had the displeasure of laying my ears on. Please save yourselves from this hell; heed my warning! There is nothing here for you to enjoy! Enbilulugugal states, “We hope you fucking hate it!” They get a zero for musical ability, but 100 for accomplishing their goal.