Emperor's Best! - 100%

Spirit_Crusher, June 16th, 2003

Wow. This album blew my mind. After the release of the magnificent "In The Nightside Eclipse", the metal community was having high expectations for Emperor’s next masterpiece. I think it’s safe to say that they were satisfied. This album is so complex, so multi-layered, it’s just mesmerizing. The atmosphere on this disc is very dark and bleak. You’ll feel like you’re in the middle of Antarctica with a cold wind blowing. The production is fantastic as every instrument comes through clearly and sounding very powerful. On to the song highlights!

Track 2: "Ye Entrancemperium" - This song is pure fantastic chaos. Emperor’s trademark "wall of sound" comes in to full swing. It never lets up. It also has one of the fastest blastbeats I have ever heard.

Track 3: "Thus Spake the Nightspirit" - This song has a very epic feel to it, while remaining incredibly heavy. A very interesting riff also comes in and out of the song. Very haunting breakdown as well.

Track 5: "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" - I love everything about this song. Classic epic black metal the way it should be played. A symphonic composition lingers in the background.

Track 7: "With Strength I Burn" - Catching on to a pattern yet? Well, this is another winner. Almost every metal element lies in this song. It sounds very reminiscent of recent Borknagar. Awesome.

All the songs are fantastic, but these are the ones that stick out in my head as the best. Most black metal bands wish they could write music like this. Ihsahn was the man. It’s a shame they broke up. In conclusion, this is my favorite BM band and one of my favorite bands of all-time. If you are a fan of metal, (not necessarily black metal) and you have patience, you should grow to love them. One will not absorb all that this disc has to offer in one sitting. I’m still hearing new stuff! Do yourself a favor and give "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" a listen. I doubt you’ll regret it.