A really worthy song to listen to - 90%

Verd, October 24th, 2011

Before talking about the single itself, I have to punctualize that my rating takes into account various aspects apart from the (awesome) quality of the only song that we can listen to in this album - Thousandfold: mainly, we have to consider that this record came out only three days before the full-lenght in which the aforementioned song was present - "Everything remains as it never was"; moreover, it's important to collocate this single inside the not-big-at-all Eluveitie discography.

Let me explain: Eluveitie started with a different line-up compared to that of today: back in 2003, when their first recording appeared, only vocalist Chrigel Glanzmann and violinist Meri Tadic played in the band, which had a much more raw and pristine sound, if you're able to imagine what I'm thinking about speaking of a Swiss folk metal band; in the years, they evolved towards a - let me say - much more commercial sound, and actually the first time I heard their last album I thought I was listening to the post-"Clayman" In Flames with folk instruments.. but yeah, since I love In Flames I think they did a great change in their sound, but whatever. Back to Eluveitie discography, this single marks their definitive approach to the new sound I was speaking about, while their old and raw sound characterized their first album "Spirit" and even their second masterpiece "Slania", already influenced by an easier sound aided by the great female voice of the young hurdy-gurdist Anna Murphy. After this recording, we have an awesome acoustic album called "Evocation I - The arcane dominion", still dominated by female voices and folk instruments.

Not surprisingly, this Thousandfold song I'm reviewing has been cited as one of Anna Murphy's songs ever - and even since the opening, a hurdy-gurdy-and-violin melody characterizes it, along with Päde Kistler's flutes, which accompany the catchy refrain that we're going to hear many other times until the end of the whole song. Yeah, "catchy" is a good term to define this song - even because other instrumental solos have been inserted into it with great sensibleness from the songwriters, that managed to create a perfect single (that has its own really good music video). The production is really good as always, and it may be interesting to know that all the instruments have been recording in two different places: drums, guitars, bass and vocals in Pfäffikon, fiddles and hurdy-gurdy in Vaduz.

On to the lyrical aspect. We all know that Eluveitie has always been loving to write the songs in their own Gaulish language - but this Thousandfold is entirely written in English, so that even a dumb guy like me is able to understand it without (often bad) translations. The song itself talks about war, history and pride - Eluveitie's favourite themes - and with poetical and glorious lyrics they continue to explore Swiss ancient history on their own side, complaining about Roman invasions and so on. Particularly, as vocalist Glanzmann once explained, here they talk about Orgetorix, a wealthy ancient Swiss guy (hence the title of the song and the "Behold all our gold thousandfold" etc. refrain) who died in 61 b.C. and who has been pretty much exploited by Julius Caesar, that treated him like a traitor in his writings, using him as propaganda to support his wars in the North against the "villainous" Celts (I'm from Northern Italy and even here the Romans treated the Celts like cannon fodder, actually). Here, Eluveitie are trying to describe history by a Swiss (I know I should say "Helvetic", "Celtic", "Gaulish" or something) point of view, implicitly criticizing, of course, the Roman politics of invasion and conquest. Actually, for what we know, Orgetorix convinced the Swiss people to migrate in modern-day France, triggering the so-called Gallic Wars in which Caesar subjugated the Celts of Europe and trespassed the Alps. Yeah, this is a great argument to talk about, in my opinion, and Eluveitie managed to accompany the lyrics with great music.

Negative point, of course, is the lack of other songs or B-sides on the record, and this is the main reason why I can't suggest to buy it (buy instead the full-lenght, of course!), but if you collect the whole Eluveitie discography or if you simply like a great-quality single, this is, of course, suggested to you.