Nerdy Tech Death - 82%

optimuszgrime, April 29th, 2008

I have listened to this album probably over 50 times. I have tried to review it more than once, and at first I felt I did not know the songs long enough and did not have enough background information to know what the fuck these people were all about. It was quiet clear to me that we are dealing with a concept album folks, although the band did not specifically state that this is the case. However, I guess they are a concept band, kind of like Wormed and Ancient Necropsy, their specific concept being science fiction warfare and all sorts of terraformation and space conquest. Pretty neat, you can all put on your square rimmed glasses once again, because I know deep down inside all of you hard wrought musicians hell bent on technicality are music nerds. Tougher than your average, but you are still music nerds, so of course you will enjoy these themes of interplanetary conquest and alien planets and wars in deep space.

Now for the music. So the concept, as far as I can tell is about this weird half terraformed planet called Kronor VII. People migrate to here but then start a war, over what, we do not know, or at least I could not decipher. Then they make these giant sentinel type cyborg guardians (god damn these guys are nerdy) who keep thems afe and are supposed to ensure order, but then they realize, in fairly typical death metal fashion, that humans are the root cause of the problems, and as such they murder all of the people on Kronor VII. Don’t ask what happened to Kronors I-VI either, man, you would not want to know. Perhaps that will be the topic of a later album. I like the fact that they use Suffocation like brutal tech death to achieve their aims as well. Concept albums too frequently are done by black metal or pseudo-black metal bands, or by heavy/power metal bands and the concepts will be like, the search for Midgard or slaying some faggot ass dragon. I like the fact that they take a bit of sci-fi here, and they do it just as cheesy as the power metal guys, except the music is serious. It is not just a musical underpinning to the concept, it is fucking sweet tunes that would have been written separate of the concept as well, I am sure.

And what music it is! The vocals are the lamest aspect of this band, they are not bad, but aside form everything else in the band, they are far too typical. Sounds just like let’s say, Deeds Of Flesh or Hate Eternal, deep, gruff, one-sided vocals. They put a dot on the end of the sentence, but that is all, I am sure most fans will not find anything objectionable, but nothing really special either. The drumming is also in this category, but since we are talking tech death here, we have got one serious ass-kicking drummer here, none other than K.C. Howard of Odious Mortem, Decrepit Birth! He mostly just blasts along, but this is one of those drummers where even if he were to play nothing but a 2/4 Beatles beat, he could make even that sluggish bullshit sound killer. So with him constant blasting does not really mean that it is all that constant, because of his amazing overpowering drumming style. It is more of his earlier Decrepit Birth stuff we get here, but with larger emphasis on the constant double bass, cymbal patterns and lofty snare beats type rhythmic patterns. It is constant with hardly any breakdowns or tempo changes in this monkey, it is pummeling and the depth of technicality can only be sensed by the intricacy of the movements, and the weird little fills and trills that are thrown in. the guitars take the cake as they tend to with albums like these, they overpower everything else, even the awesome drumming, but are recorded very low in comparison to what a purpose they fulfill. The tone is nice and scratchy but relatively clean, and the low frequencies are frequently lost, but they have nice bass interludes and stops to emphasise those moments.

So my problem with this is the sound. sterile, dead pan, just no good for death metal. The recording quality and the sound, along with the medium size vocals are what make me give any less than a 100 on this album. Really everyone else deserves it, but it sounds almost midi, almost computer generated it is so overproduced. I just do not like this sterile, completely triggered, completely digital, no harshness, no grime attitude to recording. It is important in this type of death metal to have precision, and thus shitty recording gear is simply not an option, and I will even state how hard it is to get those hyper blasts and those 32nd notes heard without triggers, shit it is nearly impossible (I also play drums in tech death), and I do understand that they are hard to deal with. But it seems to me like this sound is cultivated on purpose, something that I cannot even fathom why anyone would do. I hope that this was just the product of a crappy sound engineer, or perhaps, just lack of money and time constraints, and in the future we will hear the real Element, and not before they freeze and haul it in on a slab of digital recording. My score reflects that optimism.