Heavy is a really heavy thing... - 95%

Glasylabolas, June 16th, 2011

Electric Wizard was my introductory band when I first started listening to stoner/doom metal. Whichever one you want to call it, they are both great and both encompass their style fairly well. I don't think that I could dub this as the 'heaviest' album ever, but I can't deny that the bass is crushing in the best - and most platonic - way possible.

Vocals: In this album, it appears that this fella's voice was put farther behind the mix than what they normally do. Personally, I really don't mind; it seems to take on a more atmospheric feel along with the accompanying mix of his voice himself, and it turns out pretty nicely. The lyrics are poetic in their own way; I can't really help but chuckle a little bit at the weed themes applied to their writing, but beyond that they seem to expand fairly well. They tend to be a bit bleak, but so is the composition of the music itself, so it harmonizes.

Guitars: I've heard that these two play out of bass amplifiers, which I could believe having tried it myself (it sounds great). While they don't write any mind boggling lead work or syncopated riffing, it tends to lean on a more expressive side, which accents their blues-reminiscent style. On 'We Hate You', there is a lead progression that comes in during the chorus - it might be the third one, I'm not sure - that puts me in a really nice state when enjoying the music. It's only three notes, but the way in which it is played makes a very noticeable difference.

Bass: Bass is heavy, and heavy is what this is intended to be. Thusly, the bass is a really heavy thing. It stands out particularly on Funeralopolis, breaking away momentarily from the guitars to flip open a jar off bluesy leads, which, of course, requires a bong rip. Most of the time he follows the guitar on this album, which isn't necessarily bad considering the bass heavy mix of the music. From that perspective, it's always enjoyable.

Drums: Nothing too spectacular here, in my opinion, but I admire his preciseness and syncopation at such a slow rhythm. The drums seem mostly atmospheric on this release; mostly serving to carry each song on a charging beast of bass drums and shuffle rhythms. Which, to me, is pretty god damned cool. I also like his use of the toms, which end up coming in real handy for a quick change up.

Overall: A well crafted masterpiece. I gave it a 95% rating because I strongly believe that they should have made The Hills Have Eyes longer. Forty-seven seconds of chill, epic blues leads and bass rhythm is really not enough time to truly enjoy it. But that's what the repeat button is for.