Hated it - 12%

WilliamAcerfeltd, October 6th, 2007

Einherjer was one of those bands I heard of ages ago, but never got around to listening to them. I finally decided I would check them out. The band was getting decent reviews, so maybe I'm missing something here but honestly, in my opinion, this is complete crap.

The only good thing about this CD is the really cool artwork. The rest of the album is pretty shit and pretty formulaic. It's one of the worst albums I've ever heard, especially for Viking metal. It can be summed up pretty effectively like this: really annoying, slow, simple and scratchy riffs, which are repeated over and over again, which just draws out the agony, for the most part, pretty simple drumming and down right ghastly vocals just to top the whole thing off. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be any backing guitars, so it gives the songs an incomplete feeling. That’s pretty much the jist of the entire album. I can't really remember anything specific from the album it just blurs into one long song really. The album is completely devoid of any atmosphere.

For all those Windir fans out there who wonder what Windir would sound like if they were terrible, then this is it. I admit I have only listened to this album once, so I don't really know it that well, but man, oh man, it so agonizing to listen to I don’t think I'd want to hear it again. Some albums can seem mediocre when you listen to them the first time; however, I highly doubt I'd like the album any better if I listened to it multiple times, and after all how can I end up liking annoying riffs? If you ever want to torture someone without physically harming them, tie them up and put headphones in their ears and force them to listen to this us over and over again, they'll talk.

(This album gets 12 because the artwork rocks, apart from that, this is sheer misery.)

Conclusion: The above is not recommended for download or purchase.