Nightmare World - 85%

PowerMetalGuardian, October 17th, 2003

Eidolon's Nightmare World, is a very underrated album. It combines the sure essence of speed and thrash guitar riffs with power metal lyrics. Taken in as a whole, this album plays some real good metal for the new millennium. It has it's strengths and some weaknesses that make this album an overall solid sound of distortion. When it comes down to the wire, Nightmare World has all the elements of a good heavy metal album.

Musically, this album is built. The guitars have a most excellent show on this album. At times you will be gripped by the melodic clean intro's and title song Fortress of Red. At other times you will just all out head bang till your ears bleed. The riffs are very well designed. You don't see a lot of the straight forward, fast picking, same notes like most power metal tends to shove in our ears. Rather you see very nice designed riffs, that change frequently to suit the songs mood. The solo's are also top notch; there is a lot of duel guitar licks and just an amazing show from the guitars.

One thing about this album I had a hard time getting used to was the singer. He grows on you though. Brian Soulard just doesn't come off as a singer who has balls. He has a very straight forward flat lined vocal tone, which gets boring after a while. In my opinion he doesn't scream as much as he should. I mean hell, it's power metal -let out a war cry as you slay the dragon! A couple listens to this album and you will be hooked on all of it's aspects.

Production is great; i.e. no problems with sounds quality, instruments over powering each other, etc. etc. Everything is done at an absolute good performance; this album has a lot to offer. Eidolon has proved that they can still impress us in the new century. Some good songs to check out are Nightmare World, Lunar Mission, and Glorified Suicide.