Beautifully, artfully catchy music. - 93%

Empyreal, April 5th, 2011

How have I missed this for so long? Eden’s Curse is a British band that has put out three albums – this being the latest one. And they pretty much rule. Trinity is just a wonderful, uplifting album for those who yearn for the most majestic of hooks and the most soaring of melodies, all wrapped up tight in Deep Purple-esque 70s style synths and energetic power metal chugging. Sounding like the prodigal son of Edguy and Threshold, this album just works, and gets better every time I play it.

This is very much in the school of modern music that combines 70s and 80s style synths and beats with modern power metal chugging and vocal choirs, again, much like Edguy. Singer Michael Eden is reminiscent sometimes of James LaBrie and others of Mac McDermott, formerly of Threshold. He’s a vocal chameleon, and his charming, expert tone and charisma carry this album a lot higher than it would have gone otherwise. The songs are punchy and dramatic, with pretty much all of them being instantly memorable. What really strikes me about this is just how much care has been put into fine-tuning these vocal lines and choruses – rarely have I seen such masterful, well done chorus work. And even the verses are done well! The vocal lines on here in general are just extraordinary, each one shining like a newborn star.

The first track is a pretty useless intro piece, and too long at that. Once we hit the chugging power metal of the title track, though, the album blasts off like a rocket, heading for the cosmos and never looking back. “Saints of Tomorrow,” “Rivers of Destiny,” “Children of the Tide,” the touching “Guardian Angel”…there are no bad tunes on here! I have to say some of the best ones crop up in the second half of the album with the awesome “Dare to Be Different,” the Andi Deris-guested “Black Widow,” which winds and crawls like a hungry snake, and the masterful, calculated prog of the excellent “Jerusalem Sleeps.” Exemplary. Truly a great set of songs.

There are no ends to the wonders of this album. With one stroke Eden’s Curse cement themselves as leaders of their genre. If you like this kind of rocking, melodic heavy metal, this one should be at the top of your list to get, because you probably won’t find much better this year. Stunning work, gents!

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com