AOR power metal sewage. - 40%

Empyreal, May 24th, 2014

Eden’s Curse put out a great album in Trinity a few years ago, blending explosive Edguy Hellfire Club choruses and vocal lines with propulsive power metal tinged with a personal touch like Dead Reckoning-era Threshold. This new album sees a bit of a lineup change, and I think a lot of the quality here left with departed singer Michael Eden. Symphony of Sin is a pedestrian songwriting stew of guitar and keyboard ideas you heard from Firewind and Edguy 10 to 15 years ago. As slick and rocking as the band can play, there’s nothing even remotely exciting about the sound anymore – the sound requires a lot more energy and attitude in the riffs and vocal lines than Eden’s Curse display here.

New singer Nikola Mijic is a big drawback here, with a high, slightly nasal tone that, at best, doesn’t really annoy you – he does do a good job at sounding half asleep though, if that was his intention. He doesn’t really sing any good vocal melodies – the verses are a soggy trudge through a barren land without any hooks, and the choruses are stale cliché you’ve heard in every other band like this, from Power Quest to Brother Firetribe, except with a quarter of the personality of those bands. All of these songs are competently written, straddling the line between AOR and contemporary power metal decently enough with chugging riffs and fluttery melodies, but without an iota of passion or fire to anything going on. I really think this whole style of AOR power metal is getting over-saturated, as this is easy-listening metal as flat and unassuming as a blank piece of white computer paper and with all the entertainment value therein, too. Get this if you really want something that sounds like new Edguy except with none of the bold personality or wild twists and turns. Or maybe if you just want something to fall asleep to real easily – this should do the trick.

A promising start to the new line-up - 70%

Andromeda_Unchained, October 15th, 2013

The last release from UK-based melodic metallers Eden's Curse was certainly an accomplished album, and definitely what I'd class as their finest moment. Unfortunately after the release of Trinity singer Michael Eden would leave the band, and for a short spell Michael was replaced with Marco Sandron, who you might have heard in Pathosray or Fairyland. With Marco in tow Eden's Curse put out the excellent track "Time To Breathe" which left me feeling optimistic about the band's future. Sadly it wasn't meant to be, and things didn't work out with Marco (although I'm not entirely sure as to why). For their fourth full-length Symphony Of Sin Eden's Curse enlisted the vocal talents of Alogia singer Nikola Mijić, and filling in the vacant keyboardist spot is former Power Quest main man Steve Williams, whose inclusion certainly stirred up some expectation.

With the opening title track Eden's Curse re-establish their sound with the new line-up, and the longest number they've recorded to date. Familiar ground is tread throughout, although I'd say Steve Williams' keyboards give this a little more of a power metal pedigree than before. Nikola's vocals aren't too far away from Michael's, although I'd say Nikola's tone and approach is more in touch with the likes of Swedish hard rock exports H.E.A.T. or modern day Tobias Sammet, as opposed to Michael's more AOR sensible approach. If you pushed the question I'd probably give the edge to Nikola on singing talents alone, while I'd definitely say Michael had a better approach and stronger vocal lines. That isn't to say Nikola doesn't have some good vocal lines here, but there's nothing to match the quality of songs such as "No Holy Man" or "Jerusalem Sleeps".

For the most part this isn't too far away from what they were doing on the last album, although I definitely think there's an increase in the hard rock elements, largely thanks to Nikola's vocal performance. There are a few tracks in particular which are blatantly obvious in their hard rock approach, utilizing a tried and true formula that you've heard in everyone from Whitesnake to Hardline. Whilst this element has always been present in the Eden's Curse sound, they used to do it in a far more intelligent manner. Listening to tracks such as "Rock Bottom", "Turn The Page" and "Unbreakable" certainly backs up how I feel. These songs come across as relatively predictable and palpable in their melodic approach, although admittedly I do enjoy "Unbreakable" a fair bit despite its clichéd and saccharine intro which wouldn't feel out of place on an eighties pop metal album.

Taking the weaker tracks out of the equation the rest of Symphony Of Sin stands tall, Thorsten Köhne and Steve Williams certainly show some promising chemistry with Thorsten's riffs being largely enjoyable throughout, blending a post-Hellfire Club Edguy approach with some Rage For Order-era Queensrÿche. As I stated earlier Steve's keys dish out a fair bit in the way of power metal pedigree, and backing the rest of the guys up is the rhythm section of Paul Logue and Pete Newdeck who further add power metal elements in terms of driving rhythms, thumping bass and some double kicked sections. Numbers such as the title track, "Evil & Devine", "Losing My Faith" and "Devil In Disguise" show Symphony Of Sin in its best light, featuring everything Eden's Curse do well.

On the whole I think Eden's Curse have done a pretty good job on their fourth full-length. I do feel the album is a little too long and it certainly isn't without its flaws, but for the most part Symphony Of Sin is enjoyable. I'm a little disappointed "Time To Breathe" didn't feature on the album, and ideally I would have liked the band to keep a little more in touch with said track, which certainly sounded like the logical continuation of Trinity. Nonetheless it's great to hear these guys active and hopefully they'll go on to do more with this line-up - there's definitely a lot of potential on show. In the meantime Symphony Of Sin is a solid listen, and certainly recommended it to fans of Edguy, Eclipse or even At Vance.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com

Magnificent Comeback - 85%

StarB67, October 5th, 2013

Eden’s Curse is one of those bands I’ve had in my long, “I have to check these guys out” queue, but I’ve never actually gotten farther than listening to a couple of songs on the band’s Myspace. The spark that had quite recently re-ignited my interest for this band was that Serbian-born singer Nikola Mijic had joined the band. Needless to say, hailing from Serbia myself, I was rather shocked (although not surprised). With keyboard wizard Steve Williams (Power Quest, ex-Dragonforce) completing the new roster, Eden’s Curse are ready to launch themselves straight to the A-league with their latest effort, Symphony of Sin.

Compared to their previous releases, namely Trinity, the band’s sixth effort seems much more consistent and inspired. Numerous influences are evident throughout the album, yet you’d never point your finger at a single song and accuse the band of lacking in originality or sounding too much like this or that band. Instead, think of the final product as a perfect blend including the raw power of classic heavy metal bands like Pretty Maids or Gotthard; pop-sensibility of Journey or Asia; sheer power of Helloween; grandiose feel of Avantasia; and the band’s personal stamp.

The best example of how well this blend works is the title-track, incorporating all of the above elements into a hit that has real potential for becoming a live classic. The album is quite dynamic, with bombastic tracks like “Evil & Divine” and “Unbreakable” standing side by side with mid-paced, hard-rock anthems like “Rock Bottom” and “Turn the Page,” along with crossovers between the two, such as “Great Unknown” or “Losing My Faith.”

The new line-up is rock-solid, giving off the feel that these guys have been playing together much, much longer. Steve Williams brings the vintage keyboard sound into the mix, giving the whole release a strong early-80′s feel. Thorsten Koehne’s guitar playing is outstanding, always keeping the listener focused on his intricate riff arrangements and melodies. The rhythm section, consisting of Paul Logue and Pete Newdeck, provides a solid, groovy hard-rock foundation, and the outstanding production keeps it from being too far in the background.

Despite being fully aware of Nikola‘s talent, I must say that he was the most pleasant revelation, as I was truly taken aback with his performance on Symphony of Sin. He sings with such skill, power and emotion that he could compete against the most popular singers in the scene today. He switches from a soft, jazzy voice to a rough, rock’n'rollish one with ease, hits the perfect high notes as well as dark, low ones. Just for refference, think of Mats Leven’s jagged, hard rock tone coupled with Russell Allen‘s powerful delivery.

The only complaint I have is in regards to the length of the album. The second half, although it has some amazing moments itself, fails to keep my attention compared to the first one. Listening to the two halves separately proved that it was not the quality of the songs, although releasing two or three of them as B-sides rather than album tracks would have definitely done the release a favor.

Symphony of Sin definitely turned out to be a genuine surprise. With the talented bunch of musicians, great songwriting skills and catchy hooks that resulted in this album, I have no doubt that Eden’s Curse are finally going to get the renown they deserve. This album is a must for all melodic rock and metal fans, and one that will be talked about for many years to come!

Originaly posted on http://www.metalblast.net