So old school, so god damn BRUTAL. - 95%

Brutalnet, August 3rd, 2008

For those of you, like me, that love the old school NYDM and Swedish groove death scene, you'll absolutely love this CD. Unless you knew in advance that this came out just a couple years ago, you'd swear it was released in 1992 or 1993. Total old school slam/groove death.

Loaded with brutal riffs, the debut disc from Eciton couldn't get much better. Fans of Authorize (Sweden), Broken Hope (USA-IL), Dehumanized (USA-NY), Baphomet/Banished (USA-NY), and bands of the like will die of a hard-on when they hear this.

This CD is everything that someone into old-school brutal death would love. From cover to cover this disc keeps you there. This is not rough-around-the-edges old school death that seems to lack substance, in retrospect, rather, it is the old school brutal death disc that never came out in the early 90s.

So-called classic death metal to me lacks substance and staying power. Tons of people like Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse, but I've always taken issue with the fact that memorable riffs are few and far between with bands like that. Not so with our friends Eciton. Like countrymates Lipid, Denmark's Eciton uses no filler riffs at all. Every single one counts. One riff levels you. The next kicks you when you're down.

From the opener "Butchering The Helpless" right up until the final track "Sanguinity Dreams", this disc insists on repeatedly bashing your face in beyond the point of submission. Blastbeats in the modern sense are absent, rather, replaced with old school slower blasts and drum fills.

This disc is produced as if it were recorded in the early 90s. The guitars aren't very tuned down, and they don't need to be. The riffing speaks for itself. I truly yearn for more bands like this. Of all the old-schoolish bands out there that I'm aware of, Eciton is definitely the most brutal.

Others that come to mind are Legion Of The Damned (The Netherlands) who plays a modernized blackened version of Slayer (which I think to be far superior to the aforementioned influence), The Forensic (Mexico) who plays a style similar to early Depresy (Slovakia), and the Danish act Lipid. Lipid, although brutal, more reminds one of how great E-chug riffing is when it's done properly.

I absolutely cannot wait for the followup to this CD. Don't change a thing, Eciton. This style is not well enough reminisced upon in modern day.