A misanthropic masterpiece - 100%

dystopia4, January 12th, 2011

I'm having trouble coming up with the words to describe how amazing and unique this EP is. It would be inaccurate to compare this to another band or album because nothing else sounds like this. Dystopia plays their own unique style, with the most prominent influences being sludge, crust punk and grindcore. This is a misanthropic record if I've ever heard one; I can hear their hatred for humanity in every gut wrenching scream. This album is dirty, heavy, aggressive and above all it is one of the most original pieces of music I've ever heard. None of the five songs are the same, they are all genius in their own special way.

The music starts off with "Stress Builds Character." This one is probably my favorite song Dystopia has ever done. If you are feeling down and want a song you can relate to, this is it. It starts off with a haunting bass line and a rant about the pressures that modern life imposes on people. When the rant subsides, we are treated to one of the most unique instrumental sections ever made. The bass is what makes this section so special, it overpowers everything else with its captivating tone. The rest of the track features heavy slow riffs and and tortured vocals. The next song "Hands that Mold", perfectly shows the contrast between the two vocalists. One produces an extremely gruff deep growl. The other vocalist still employs harsh vocals, but at a much higher pitch. Both of them are extremely hard to forget. This song shows off Dystopia's talent for writing lyrics. The lyrics paint a portrait of human beings eventually destroying the planet that gave them birth. With this track, the originality of the drums become evident. I can't help but being intrigued by the interesting cymbal patterns. The epic riff at the chorus is also noteworthy - it almost reminds me of Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell."

Sanctity has to be one of the most disturbing songs I have ever heard. Samples are played over one of the most original bass lines I have ever heard. The samples are extremely morbid, they are the stories of different people's suicides. After the voice says "I can no longer endure the pain, we have often talked about when a person's time is up - mine is now.", some truly aggressive metal kicks in. The pain filled screams on this track are truly twisted and fucked up. The lyrics follow the theme of the samples, with lines such as "God, where are you now?"

"Ignorance of Pride" is a song protesting gang violence and class discrimination. Their grindcore influences become evident on this track. Don't think it is a fully grindcore spazz-fest. The short furious blasts with furious wails are followed by slow, sludgy guitars and deep menacing growls. "Love/Hate" is a worthy competitor of "Sanctity" for the most disturbing song ever recorded. An ironic sampling of "Hopelessly Devoted to you" is followed by the dissonant screeches of feedback. The samples feature the voices of misogynists and murderers of women. One considerably fucked up sample is from a man who murdered his significant other: "I cut off her head and I humiliated her corpse, but I never hit her. I killed her, but I never hit her." The rest of the samples are equally messed up. Dystopia have often been accused of misogyny for this song but they have explained that this song is a protest against violence towards women.

Personally, I consider this EP to be perfect. To me, perfection does not mean being the most technically advanced or the best produced piece of music. It means making the most enjoyable and interesting songs that create a strong emotional connection. This album has an extremely dirty production quality and many of the riffs are simple. But this doesn't matter; the production fits the style of music and the riffs are interesting and enjoyable. The bass is a big part of what makes this so perfect. It is rare that a band uses bass this heavily, especially in metal. Instead of the bass plodding along, indifferently copying the guitar, Dystopia uses the bass to carve out a unique atmosphere. Dystopia certainly isn't for everyone, but they are a true gem to people who like them.