Conflagration and Death It Brings - 85%

Tlacaxipehualiztli, February 17th, 2013

The band’s name and the title say it all: death metal. This is my first meeting with this Mexican monster, but now I can speak courageously that I will remember it for a long time, and despite “Deathbringer” not bringing anything new to my metal world, it's for sure these tunes are worth the trouble. The base of their music is the creativity of Brazilian death metal outfits, especially Krisiun (and “Conquerors of Armageddon” era) being the main influence. But for me personally the lack of originality isn’t an obstacle during the listen because Drowned in Blood produces death metal in a really good and devastating way, and this is the most important factor.

The production of the album sounds really solid except for maybe the vocal lines that should be louder a bit. George uses a rather semi-growl that is quite articulate and in my opinion he mixes two ways of singing: Peter from Vader and Alex from Krisiun. Fortunately, it makes the final result really good. The groundwork for this destructive force coming from the speakers is the work of unmerciful drums that can effectively press down upon the listener. The note “play fast or die” taken from the booklet is a kind determinant of the things to come. Mexicans bathe in really fast tempos, and when they slow down it is the very short moment to strike again with a crushing drum cannonade and guitar riffs. What is interesting is that the whole album didn’t bore me, and even I liked the way they put some short intros (from the movie “Saw”) into the tracks, which takes the music into another sick dimension. Good move! “Deathbringer” is maintained on a rather equal level. There is no weak song, and the opening song, “Makers of Ravage” (what a proper title!), especially shows that in this band. Each song has a guitar lead, yet some of them have quite the memorable group of riffs (“Thirst for Vengeance”, “Through the Agony”).

So thirty minutes passes by extremely fast. I wrote there is no filler in the ‘proper’ songs. “Deathbringer” is ended by a bonus instrumental track called “After Death”, lasting three minutes and I do not know if it fits into the album's entirety. Maybe I cannot state that it is a mistake here, but it seems to be unnecessary softening of the remainder. For sure it is quite sorrowful, yet it gives… hope? For what???

One thing is certain, and it is that these Mexicans created a bloody piece of death metal based on checked patterns. Even the music reminds me of some big metal names aforementioned above, and I recommend this crew to every death metalhead. “Deathbringer” has everything to conquer the senses: brutality, merciless blasts, expressive guitar riffs, and optimal length. What else do I need? Just push the play button and with the first words coming from the opening intro: “you can’t hide…”, I drown in the territory of "Deathbringer", remembering that there is no escape.