Surprising First entry. - 86%

TwilightMoonReviews, August 6th, 2009

The cover art certainly won't urge anyone to buy this album, also complete with (at the time, since the guitarist has now been with Rhapsody and others) no name band members and cheap packaging. We aren't exactly sure what to expect with all these bad signs pointing the way to mediocrity, but luckily all the important stuff (example: the music) is of great quality, and virtually everything is surprising about this album: the powerful vocals (including excellent high-pitch screams) and classic Maiden style guitar of Gerard Fois, high quality drumming, and the fact that it's good at all.

Vocals are great, like I mentioned before. They're really powerful, with a sort of natural grit that sometimes doesn't exist with vocals that sing high frequently. And trust me, he does exactly that, hitting every note required for the journey, while still staying about mid-range most of the time. The same guy also does guitar, and I guess he's just lucky that he is so good at both.
The guitar is awesome and old-school sounding, (and then again, so is this whole album) a sort of a mix of Iron Maiden and Fates Warning riffs. It's one of the few things that transfers well on production, but I'll get back to that in a minute. Drums are good sounding and are competently played. Just one statement about the bass: is there even a bass player? I think you get the idea: the bass might as well be silent, which is a problem.

As I alluded to before, the production is pretty much terrible, something Dream Child probably can't control because of their low-budget, mystery record company (Brennus?). Vocals are too loud and there's just this strange distortion surrounding all of it. Drums and guitar aren't too bad, though.
I also recommend Reaching the Golden Gates as well, as it is of about equal quality. This is some good traditional/progressive metal, and it would be a shame for you to pass it up because of it's cheap look: don't judge a book by its cover.