Raise your Fist - 60%

cannibaleater, November 30th, 2012

Doro just released her fifteenth album (including the Warlock years).
Which is quite a milestone for any artist, but keeping quality and a fanclub consistent isn’t immediately included at that count. Luckily this German metal head knows how to make a solid metal album and this particular album is not an exception.

Her vocals are amazing, lots of artists have that powerful raspy voice but not many have kept that throat over the years. Doro however still has an amazing sound, both at nice fast songs like "Raise your fist up in the air" and "Rock Till’ Death", but also in softer songs like the ballad between her and Lemmy Kilmister. There Really isn’t anything to complain about the vocals, except that maybe the vocals could be a bit more diverse and varied. All in all; very awesome.

The instrumentals are perfect for Doro, the riffs and drums roll together very well and contain a great driving feeling. I’d imagine it to be great while driving or pillaging. The solos and pretty damn fast and heavy. I believe that Gus G (Ozzy Osbourne etc.) also made a quick appearance in this album to play a solo. There is nothing except for the solos to be very outstanding to me, the combination of the drums, bass and guitars is what still makes it pleasing. Individually nothing seems to be extremely fascinating. I still find it to be better than mediocre so they’re safely in the clear on that one.

The old school vibe is probably what keeps this show all together, if I wouldn't have known Doro and someone would have handed this album over to me and made me guess from what year this was. I would say anything but 2012. In my opinion that is a very positive thing.
Considering that a lot of older bands try to renew themselves so greatly, that it all sounds like crap. Doro surely sticks out and keeps using her old but trustworthy recipe for a good album. Diversity might not be spread enough over the album but is still better than changing your style and artificially changing it to be different and original.

The lyrics on this album are not very touching or amazing but luckily when it comes to this tradional brand of heavy metal that doesn't imply that is becomes a bad album.

All in all, I have to say that there are some good songs on this record but that I expected a tad more of them. Every song on the album is good but none of them even come close to being exceptional and that is an unfortunate shame.