Most heavy album since "Burning the Witches"! - 97%

Metal_Thrasher90, June 20th, 2008

Doro went back to her metal roots! That’s something that makes essential “Calling The Wild”, in my opinion the most heavy album she’s been part of since “Burning The Witches”.

“Kiss Me Like A Cobra”, “Dedication (I Give My Blood)”, “Fuel” or “Burn It Up” is from the hardest, loudest and fastest stuff Doro has ever released. This album consists of solid riffs, great solos and her aggressive voice. Those of all build a raw metal sound, away from the commercial stuff Doro had released by that time. She’s helped by guitar gods Slash and Al Pitrelli, and even the legendary Lemmy Kilmister appears as guest on the bonus track “Alone Again”.

But although this album is full of killer songs Doro plays so many ballads on it, in my opinion too much. “Black Rose” or “Give Me A Reason” are great stuff, but the problem is that she still uses electrical percussion and drums which make the album sound AOR, as it happened on “Machine II Machine” and “Love Me In Black”.

But anyway, the final result is remarkable and the passion of Doro can be feel in every song, specially on “Danke”, dedicated to her father. So if you’re a Doro fan or simply a metal music lover like me, you’ll surely enjoy this one.