Most heavy album since "Burning the Witches"! - 97%

Metal_Thrasher90, June 20th, 2008

Doro went back to her metal roots! That’s something that makes essential “Calling The Wild”, in my opinion the most heavy album she’s been part of since “Burning The Witches”.

“Kiss Me Like A Cobra”, “Dedication (I Give My Blood)”, “Fuel” or “Burn It Up” is from the hardest, loudest and fastest stuff Doro has ever released. This album consists of solid riffs, great solos and her aggressive voice. Those of all build a raw metal sound, away from the commercial stuff Doro had released by that time. She’s helped by guitar gods Slash and Al Pitrelli, and even the legendary Lemmy Kilmister appears as guest on the bonus track “Alone Again”.

But although this album is full of killer songs Doro plays so many ballads on it, in my opinion too much. “Black Rose” or “Give Me A Reason” are great stuff, but the problem is that she still uses electrical percussion and drums which make the album sound AOR, as it happened on “Machine II Machine” and “Love Me In Black”.

But anyway, the final result is remarkable and the passion of Doro can be feel in every song, specially on “Danke”, dedicated to her father. So if you’re a Doro fan or simply a metal music lover like me, you’ll surely enjoy this one.

Calling The Wild - 67%

anacrusis, September 10th, 2004

“Calling The Wild” is somewhat enjoyable due to the pop/catchy-sounding on many tracks. I even found myself enjoying “White Wedding” which is a song that I’ve never liked. This cover is even better than the original sang by Billy Idol.
Though the tracks are catchy they get pretty boring after a while. On the other hand, this album has too many pop ballads. You won’t mind them if you feel like getting emotional. “Constant Danger” is the ballad that stands out from the rest because the acoustic guitar is just beautiful! The other ballads just make me fall asleep. Not even Lemmy Kilmister could save “Love Me Forever”. Apparently everytime he does a ballad, something goes wrong.
Some hard-rocking moments can also be found on this album. “Dedication” is heavy enough to make you do some headbanging. “Burn It Up” is a lame attempt to sound like “the old glory days”. It’s still enjoyable though. On “Ich Will Alles” the instruments have a weird distorted sound. Doro usually sings ballads in her native language but this track is definitely not a ballad. It seems like German add a little bit more agressiveness to this song.
As you can see, “Calling The Wild” does have some good moments but it’s still something I wouldn’t spend my money on.