The Return to Midnight - 98%

Mortuary_Mosh, July 28th, 2009

There are times when I'm perusing through various bands' pages on this here website and I think to myself, "Why the fuck hasn't anyone given this release a proper review?" This best of compilation from Texan doom/death heroes, Divine Eve, is an example of such a case.

First off, let's just get this out of the way. If you call yourself a fan of old-school death metal, and you haven't ever heard of Divine Eve, kill yourself. You'll certainly want to once you give this release a proper listen and realize that you've missed out on one of the most orgasmic death metal releases ever.

Divine Eve were certainly one of the darkest, heaviest, and most crushing doom/death bands of their time. The only way I can attempt to describe the sound of this release is to take the atmosphere of Burzum, everything about Autopsy's sound basically, some Entombed-esque riffs, and the sheer darkness of Scandinavian death metal as a whole. Now toss it all into a fuckin meatgrinder, and you kind of have a feel for Divine Eve's sound. Sounds awesome, right? This shit right here, although not completely fresh and different, is certainly top-notch and deserves just as much praise as "Severed Survival" or "Mental Funeral". This is a release of all of their recorded material, and although there are some sound changes among certain tracks, it can certainly be treated like a full-length.

Divine Eve were masters as pulling off the "slow-to-fast" switch-up; creating atmospheres of utter gloom and well, doom with slow, crushing riffs one moment and exploding your eardrums with an unexpected but amazing burst of brutality the next. The speed that I talk of is by no means in the Napalm Death arena, but it's fast for the genre itself. Furthermore, there are no blasts to be found here, but the speedier parts tend to carry an almost d-beat pattern. It's intensely cool and it WILL make you bang your head.

The guitars here, as with most metal, create the mood and carry the music. The mood that one can find is INTENSE pessimism, relating to revelations of an eldritch terror long forgotten. As such, the slow sections are dripping with atmosphere and are even, dare I say, beautiful. The musicianship here is more than competent. Astounding even, in my opinion. Plus, the songs sound like they're extremely fun to play.

In conclusion, I love everything about this release. The musicianship, vocals, lyrics, song titles; everything is top-notch. This is the type of death metal that's kind of rare. The slow sections force one to introspectively examine the meaning of human existence, while the faster sections will possess you and make you thrash around like a fucking maniac.

If you're a fan of old-school death metal, this is a complete and total buy or die scenario.