Journey Through Dyng Dimensions - 90%

lordazmolozmodial, July 1st, 2012

The amazing debut album "Ante Matter" for the Italian black metal band "Divine Codex" was a huge black spot on the darkest level of the black metal sheet, the ink isn't dry yet and the band renewed the amazing old spot with more extinctive and ruinous colors. Atum and Guh Lu have taken advantages of every musical technic on earth to create such an enormous record, and now the album "The Dark Descent" is a great solid example of complex noise of hate and anger, Mighty Hordes Productions launched the black metal reactor (The Dark Descent) to be a lesson for all who try to make complex and inhuman black metal records.

First of all, the album's intro "The Dark Descent" gives a cold impression of how the music will be like, and then the 90's black metal days have come back again to live with the track "Supreme Catharsis Sythesized", the textile of the vocals and the characteristic of the guitar riffing reminded me of the old Mayhem and Gehenna, I really enjoyed the drumming of Atum, this guy's hands are made of complex hammering machines. After I finished listening to the first blast, I prepared myself for the next one and I enjoyed every single moment of the track "Domain Of The Fallen", there are a lot of guitar progression and many grim blast-beats would satisfy every single anarchic feeling inside your mind.

The third blast "Journey Through Dyng Dimensions" begins a very long and deep tunnel of dementia and megalomania, a huge structured lunatic riffs and skull-crashing drumming work, and all of these feelings continue on the following track "Outer Source Of Reality" that begins with more dynamic and embossed atmosphere, and then the smell of the Norwegian Marduk fills the place, many clear influences are mixed and butchered all together. The hellish blasts haven't finished yet, the superb group continues this potential album with the track "The Last Sacrifice", the music is still full of cruel feelings and suicidal insanity.

The thrilling track "Decrepitude Enigma" is my favorite track in this disorder, the structure of the compositions now is getting slower and there are more motive lead guitar role, this track started with Darkthrone's ritual style and continued with Marduk's blast-beating spirit, and somehow the total sounds remind me of the old Ulver and the debut album for the Norwegian band Immortal. After listening seven tracks of non-stopping blasting black metal fury, I decided to go further for the next track "Psycho Maze Vortex", The drumming and the bass sound have been dying hand in hand, and the same method has been used on Gorgoroth's albums. The last track "The Continuum Device" begins with mid-paced drum-beat and slow guitar section, Bathory and Satyricon are combined here, especially the flowing guitar sound and the tireless drumming efforts.

Finally, there are a lot of black metal albums around the world, and a lot of groups worked really hard to achieve such a sharp intelligent hard music, the fast scenarios of the guitars in this record show a lot of talent and tight vision. If you prefer this kind of fast and hard black metal albums then this album will be a hit for you, but if you are searching for more flexible and plastic kind of black metal, then you should search away from this place.

Originally written for: