Interesting and promising sound. - 70%

Rotting_Christ_Mike, May 3rd, 2012

The name of the band instantly grabbed my attention and after reading the genre which they play, I thought that I should definitely check out their music. What better way than listening to their recent demo? I quickly snagged a copy of this and what came out of my stereo was exactly what I expected when I saw the album cover.

There is this futuristic feel to the music, but the future seems rather desolate and empty. 'The Unquenchable Hurt ' starts off with a relatively long intro, which is really haunting and not boring at all. Once the drums kick in, the beast is unleashed. Slow, doomy riffs and rock-solid drum beats drive the song and start off what appears to be an excellent demo by this relatively new band. The noise samples which appear frequently are the cherry on top of this delicious piece of music. I must say that I notice a difference between the first two tracks and the last two tracks. As noted on the cover of CD, these songs were written at different points of time, which explains the stylistic changes. The most recent tracks, the first two, are more riff-based while still retaining the doomy atmosphere and mechanical feel of the two earlier tracks which are more ambient/noise driven.

Although there are some stylistic variations within the demo, and although at times it can feel a bit disjointed, this makes for a rather interesting listen and I enjoy both styles equally. That means that whichever of the two approaches the band takes with its future releases, I will be pleased. The major advantages of the demo is the noisy production (which suits the music perfectly) and the intense atmosphere which is emphasized by the droning nature of the music. Special mention goes to the perfectly placed noise samples/ambient passages, the solid riffs and the skillful drumming.

I'm pretty sure that many people are bound to find the sound of Diseased Oblivion really great and I can see a bright future ahead of the guys. All I can say to the band is to keep up the good work, and consider me a fan.