Synth-pop power metal. - 63%

Corimngul, November 6th, 2004

There seems to be quite some people loving this band and especially this album. They find it enjoyable, innovative and catchy. I don’t enjoy it, and I don’t know enough about the power metal scene to tell how innovative it is or compare it with other discs. In deed this is the second biggest mistake I’ve made in buying albums. No 1 was a hip-hop album. I loved Olaf Hayer’s vocals on the Luca Turilli albums and he’s truly great in Dionysus too. Range, power, technicality… What a voice! The other band members play their instruments very well too, especially the keyboardist do. So far, so good. But what if we combine these elements, in a mix that makes Olaf lose much of his power? What if we remove about every riff? If we make the drums sound just like any other power metal band? If we make the keyboards the no 1 instrument? And don’t even think about making the bass heavy. Yes, that would be Dionysus.

The best song is the most outstanding one, March For Freedom. It’s more of a power metal ballad march-song written solely by Ronny Milianowicz, the drummer and most diligent songwriter of the band. It’s heavier and features better drums, more bass and guitars and less keyboards than the other songs. Yes, it’s the overrepresented keyboard I dislike and the song writing others tend to find catchy and brilliant. I find it irritating and boring. Someone should’ve told them to keep the synth pop out of metal. Someone should’ve told them to vary the speed. This isn’t generic; it’s quite unique but not that good. Using fewer keyboard elements, fewer keyboard experimentations, more varied song writing and a mix emphasizes more on the vocals and guitars this band would’ve been something that I did give an extra spin for another reason than reviewing it.