the Doom Cult is allive! - 90%

JoeAversario, August 5th, 2010

In my pursuit of other modern bands who play something close to the same level of aggression as the mighty REVENGE, I have stumbled upon Diocletian from New Zealand. My initial impressions of Doom Cult were twofold- this is awesome and I can't believe this came out last year without me knowing about it! I would definitely compare these guys to Revenge insofar as they seem to favor and utilize a lot of the same musical aesthetic (esp. atonal riffs and tons of blastbeats). The similarity here was only a jumping off point for me because I find that if I limit my evaluation of this band solely to a comparison with Revenge, Revenge comes out on top in terms of being a heavier band. Diocletian's drummer CAN and does play a lot of parts on pace with Read, but doesn't maintain the same velocity that defines Revenge's sound. However, that doesn't at all mean this album doesn't kick serious ass and that I thoroughly enjoy it. The Diocletian drummer earns his merits on this album in the multitude of ferocious beats that come out, making Doom Cult an especially dynamic album. On top of this, two layers of down-tuned guitars and a punishing bass tone make Doom Cult a seriously heavy album that I can see myself listening to for a long time. This is not something I can say about most active bands.

"Deathstrike Overkill" and"Death Tyrant," "The Ironfist" and "Antichrist Hammerfist." The double use of the words death and fist on the tracklisting was something I noticed immediately. I was only able to find lyrics for one of the tracks on this album, which I enjoyed for its blunt eloquence. From what I've read and seen in the double use of the words death and fist, I assume Diocletian has at least a few songs about social darwinism. I've found that bands who deal with this theme are usually full of strong personalities and, as musicians, have a lot of power onstage. I would love to see this band come to the US! On another note, the one guitarist in this band has biceps the size of my head and I would absolutely not try to fight him under any circumstance.

Standout tracks for me are the second track, the Ironfist, which has an awesome back-beat part a la Blasphemy, an unexpected breakdown, and an even more unexpected falsetto vocal part. Awesome! The diversity on these tracks is one of my favorite parts, along with the good mix. Deathstrike Overkill is another standout, very chaotic. There are really great riffs all around on this album. Diocletian does an exceptional job setting you up with a part then completely throwing you, off-guard, into something else while maintaining a cohesive flow.
Bullet vomited has a nasty double kicker part about 40 seconds in but then a thrash beat comes out of nowhere and completely changes the pace.

Ultimately I'm very pleased with this album and pretty into this band after 4 thorough listen-thrus. While they may not necessarily be pioneers in the sense that they were the first ones to create the elements of their sound, they obviously draw from many bands and do an exceptional job of blending different elements in unique, punishing arrangements. I would give this a 90% because for me there isn't really anything about this album I didn't like and I found myself wanting to listen to it over multiple times. I can't wait to see how this band is going to evolve and am looking forward to following it!

Pure greatness! I am sticking to Blasphemy. - 23%

cinedracusio, October 8th, 2009

Oh, why do some people/demons have to vomit a full-length in order to prove that they can be less idiosyncratic, less chaotic, less loud and more boring than on the previous MCD? Here we have the brand new experience offered by Diocletian: more control, more screaming and... screaming provided by the sect colleagues, less colourful drumming, more boring guitar tone.

The compositions are awesomely unidimensional, and while the guitarist is quite competent at his thing, he made me realize a thing. That sometimes metal, and especially black metal, borrows heavily from the silliest sources around. This album, for example, might be a great Flash Gordon revival moment. Just take a song that is associated with a diabolic cartoon character and play it downtuned and distorted, it will succeed. It just gives the feeling that you have heard this before, and it sounds way too intendedly diabolic not to sound like an actor trying to give his best possible impersonation of Emperor Wang. Many black metal songs strive to emulate cartoonish melodic themes, some do it more obviously, some manage to hide it. And to a certain extent (though this is not the best statement in a specific review for a specific album, some people should have realized it a long time ago), this kind of music gets unnervingly pretentious. Even its primitivism relies more on a movie-like hairy creature impression than on aberrations that defy the very essence of humanity, Christendom etc. etc.

The drumming got me stupefied, and left me in a puddle of spleen. This does not stand a chance compared to the greatness on their self-titled MCD, simply because it flows very monotonously, and even the change of the beat flows so naturally that it does not affect the music in any good way. Unlike their first MCD, where the guy could pull dramatic moments seemingly out of nowhere. The vocals have not improved by any means, the vocalists stayed true to the war metal Growl-meet-Shriek formula.

At a global level, the simple comparison drawn between THIS and Blasphemy gets thousand laffz out of my bowels. How the hell could someone compare that unique brand of hallucinated tempo shifts present at Blasphemy with this dragging blastbeat extravaganza? Blasphemy do organized chaos with style. Diocletian do organized chaos with a desolating linear aesthetic.

If you are a war metal freak, you will be probably hunting this down anyway, but those who are not necessarily genre magnets be forewarned. Get some Blasphemy before any other war metal act.

P.S.
1) That ”great” ascending feedback sequence in the beginning of the album sounds horrifyingly close to the opening riff on a track called Sarah from a band named The Caspar Brotzmann Massaker.
2) If you are really interested in chaos, and I do not mean Merzbow, be sure to check out the Mass Hysterism album by Masayuki Takayanagi. That guy owned.

The Doom Cult has conquered. - 91%

orphy, September 24th, 2009

After a demo, pair of EPs and a split, New Zealand's Diocletian has finally released their first full length album. Their previous material is of quality, displaying a brutal blend of war metal like Revenge and Blasphemy, and death metal like Bolt Thrower. "Doom Cult" is simply a continuation of their current path, with some of their strongest songs to date, as well as their most crushing recording.

The title track starts off the album, which originally was a track on their first demo. It sets the mood right away - bass heavy production, barbaric yet coherent riffs - total balls out metal. The vocals are strong, and it's cool that there are different vocalists involved. Both guitarists plus their live bassist contribute vocals, for a variety of low end vomits and some high end shrieks for added torture.

There are tons of really wicked riffs here. From fast tremolo picking ("Oath To Ruin"), to crushing Revenge-esque breakdowns ("The Iron Fist), to total punk parts ("Bullet Vomited"), Diocletian keeps things interesting and never gets boring. At 33 minutes in length, this thing will definitely rip you a new asshole. A couple surprises show up - "Werewolf Derelict" features lyrics penned by Pete Helmkamp (Order From Chaos), and the track "Antichrist Hammerfist" was written by Ryan Forster (Conqueror). Some may think it's a bit gimmicky, but the respective lyrics and song are right in place with Diocletian, so I think it comes across really well.

It's safe to say that Diocletian are headed in the right direction. They've taken that war metal sound and expanded it into a more coherent death metal territory, and as a result, have made it all the more effective. This will appeal to fans of old school death metal and war/black metal alike.

Excellent chaotic death metal; crushing! - 90%

vorfeed, August 1st, 2009

This is the first full-length album from Diocletian, a New Zealand band playing black/death metal.

The production on this record is even more dense than on their previous releases. Doom Cult is a thick sea of rumbling low-end, from which slicing pick slides, ripping lead guitar lines, and snarled vocals protrude. The result is ridiculously heavy and unrelenting. This isn't a style which benefits from clarity in production, anyway, and these guys know it.

The songwriting here is relentless from start to finish, in the vein of Blasphemy and Revenge -- even the slow breaks are oppressive and crushing. Fortunately, the riffing, vocals, and drumming are more than distinctive enough to hold the listener's interest! Multiple listens reveal a great deal of complexity beneath the churning, blasting surface; the sheer number of quality riffs packed into seemingly-straightforward songs like "Oath to Ruin" and "Bullet Vomited" is surprising. Others, like "Werewolf Directive" and "Heretics", are thick with atmosphere and power, heightening the album's overwhelming feeling of crushing density. Then there's "Baphocletian", which starts out at full speed and then transitions into a stomping, swaggering part that'll have your head banging. The variety here is astonishing, especially since every single moment is a variation on "aggressive" and "heavy" -- no faux experimental parts or concessions to melody can be found here. The artwork is worth mentioning, also: the cover iconography is simple yet effective, and the fold-out centerpiece is one of the best pieces of metal art I have ever seen! It should be absolutely stunning on the forthcoming LP.

Doom Cult more than fulfills the promise of Diocletian's mCD and 7" work, focusing the band's attack in one of the best albums of 2009. Anyone who worships Order From Chaos, Blasphemy, or Revenge should get this immediately. Highest recommendations.

Standout tracks: "Werewolf Directive", "Antichrist Hammerfist", "Baphocletian"