Not Nearly Complete, But Better Than Past Work - 70%

PowerProg_Adam, February 25th, 2003

I would probably consider this about my 4th favorite dio album. He's been kind of riding a rollercoaster with albums and has done alot of experiementing, and there are actually a few superb songs on this album. I'll do a synopsis of a few of them, because many of them are just talking or instrumental.

Lord of the Last Day has some pretty competent playing all around. A nice song that doesn't really sound like something typical of dio. Its has a bit of a medieval feel to it, but isn't really too boring.

The only description I can give for Fever Dreams is "Dio at his best"! Perfectly written, worthy of appearing on albums such as Holy Diver or Last in Line. Not only a great song, but also has a mind-numbingly good solo.

Turn to Stone, or as I like to refer to it, turn this track. Its a pretty uneventful track. Seems like Dio used this just as a filler. The chorus isn't too great and the instrumention is sub-par.

Feed My Head is probably my favorite track after Fever Dreams. Lyrically not much, but it is Ronnie's best song vocally. Sounds like Holy Diver in the way that such bad ass drumming is being played as the song is ending.

I don't know what happened, but I honestly don't remember Eriel or Challis. I've listened to this album several times and these two tracks just fail to stick with me.

As Long as Its Not About Love is probably one of dio's better ballads, but it doesn't stand a chance against songs like Don't Talk to Strangers, Egypt, or My Eyes. I personally find the lyrics to this track to be rather cheesy, but it is sung rather heart-felt at least.

Losing My Insanity is a surprise. After a few uneventful songs, I didn't expect to be blown away by anything remaining on the album. This is another song that sounds rather special. I don't think this track would fit on another album, but it is a gem on Magica. Very great instrumentation.

Otherworld once again seems like a track that Ronnie was running out of ideas when he wrote. Once again, he sings it magnificently, but the music is not very inspiring.

My main complaint about this album is the vast tracks that are only a little over a minute long with nothing new to offer. I also didn't like the fact that Dio included the who story of Magica as the last track. I guess he's assuming that most metalheads can't read, or are as old as him and can't see neither. Ronnie is still a great musician, but sometimes I wonder why he does what he does. The music for Magica is exceptional, but the concept of the album and the story itself are rather boring. I still like this alot better than Angry Machines, but Dio can do better still.