Ehh… It’s Decent. That’s About As Far As It Goes - 70%

NecroWraith, February 13th, 2007

Dio’s ‘Holy Diver’ has always been one of my favorite metal albums of all time. Obviously, I assumed Dio’s other albums must be great as well. So I picked up ‘Killing The Dragon.’ To tell you the truth, it was a big disappointment to me. No, Dio HAS written more good releases other than ‘Holy Diver,’ (‘Last In Line,’ for example, is amazing.) But out of Dio’s “amazing” albums, ‘Killing The Dragon” is definitely not one on them.

The biggest problem on here is – yes, I’m being serious – it’s boring. That is something definitely not expected from a Dio album. But no matter how much I try and listen to this album, it just won’t grow on me. I keep finding myself wanting to skip to the next track, hoping the next one will be better, while reluctantly waiting, also hoping perhaps that the one I’m currently listening to will kick off and get a little better. It doesn’t. ‘Killing The Dragon’ and ‘Cold Feet’ are Dio masterpieces. Great songs. But that’s about it. Out of 10 songs, 2 are good. The rest are mediocre, boring, and unoriginal. I would’ve expected something better from Dio.

The production here is amazing, so that’s at least one great part of the album. The guitars and drums especially are mixed very well together, and neither one of them drowns out Dio’s voice. His vocals can be heard perfectly (although, in most cases, you can hear his voice is slowly dying down – no longer the powerful vocalist that he was on ‘Holy Diver’ twenty years ago. Sorry Dio.

Don’t get me wrong. This album is not horrible. As the title says, it’s decent. It’s… average. Better than a lot of newer metal releases, DEFINITELY without a doubt better than any metalcore crap, but being average also means that there is an equally big number of better albums out there. Get it only if you’re a Dio collector. If you are simply thinking of trying out some of Dio’s work, without a doubt get ‘Holy Diver.’

-Marcin C.