Don't believe the hype... - 30%

K_a_z_u_y_a, November 7th, 2004

Because this fucking sucks.

This is standard Dimmu Borgir plus some more extra symphony.
Seriously, this is no different than Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, although P.E.M. is way over polished.

The song starts out with "Allegiance", this song makes me want to shit my pants in disgust, it has the most awful, repetitive riff I've ever heard. And then to the drumming.. The drumming is.. well... you've heard it before. You've heard it in any other Dimmu album. There's nothing new to see here, move along.

Then; the album seems to pick up a bit with "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse", starting out with some very nice symphonic crap, which is a change, then.. oh dear lord, it's taken out for this fucking hideous riffage.
Again, the drumming is drumming. And at about 1:35 into it.. we have the exact same symphonic crap.. okay.. it was nice the first time.. Then we descend into the very, very, VERY fucking awful clean singing. Did I mention it was awful? But anyway, then the slong slows down with some boring symphonic crap. And for fuck's sake, we have the SAME symphonic crap again. "Three's a crowd", yeah, first time it was nice. Second time it was okay. Third time is overkill. Seems as though Ajattara borrowed this little skill from Dimmu...

The only reason the review-within-a-review for that song was long, was because I fucking HATE that song. As usual, Shagrath's vocals sound exactly the same, with little change in them.

The song after Progenies is "Lepers Among Us", and that song seems to plod along happily on its' own. ...Then we have "Vredesbyrd"... which is the only reason this album gets 30%. This song is good. The same keyboard sample is used multiple times, but it's not as annoying as the one "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse", and there's a really nice riff at 0:22 into the song, I love that riff.

The rest of the album seems to eh.. plod along. It's Dimmu Borgir. You've heard this album before. Generally, the riffs throughout the album are boring, generic, and uninspiring. The drumming is, as I stated earlier; drumming, again, you've heard it before; in just about every other Dimmu Borgir song.

I do not recommend this album to anyone, Dimmu Borgir have gone for overkill now, they've flogged the dead donkey one too many times. I hope for everyone's sake this is their swansong, or that Shagrath or someone dies in the near future, because no good is ever going to come of this band again.