More symphonic approach and lesser masterpieces... - 60%

DracuLeo, July 30th, 2011

That's exactly how I would describe Dimmu Borgir's Death Cult Armageddon. Compared to their previous release, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, this album seemed to lack even more in catchiness. It's just like they were trying to make metal covers of classical music, really poor and boring ones though. But enough of that, let's get on to the actual tracks before I get even more pissed on how the band decided to ruin itself.

The album's opener, Allegiance, is actually very promising. Its symphonics are really good and the guitars are playing exactly to fit the orchestra. The first problem of this album, however, becomes noticeable immediately: Shagrath's vocals. If on PEM they were still good, on DCA their deterioration sign is becoming more and more visible. Moving on, the next track, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, might be the best track off this one, along with the title track. Mustis made each and every second of this song be a true epicness incarnate. And the best part is that they had Abbath from Immortal as a guest vocalist so that the harsh vocals do not ruin this song. The symphonic strings are epicness from the beginning to the end, Vortex's part is fantastic as always, and the song as a whole manages to capture the atmosphere of the apocalypse.

Sadly, the follower, Lepers Among Us, was plain worthless. All the instruments seemed to rush everywhere with no way of possibly blend together in an at least decent mix. Vredesbyrd bursts in with more epic strings, some actually good vocals from Shagrath and Galder's insane guitar riffage. But besides the beginning and ending riffs of this song, there's nothing else worth mentioning about it. Its middle isn't as good as the rest of it. For the World to Dictate our Death features some open speeches recorded so as to add the feeling of an apocalypse in our modern day. Too bad that the song was too boring for me to actually feel it like I did in Progenies...

And now comes the title track of the album, Blood Hunger Doctrine! It begins with some guitars slowly fading in while the drums decide to come in and play along. Then once this ends, Mustis comes in with a fantastic symphonic riff that you rarely find. Its epicness and apocalyptic feeling are unique and this song alone stands as a rival to Progenies. Too bad that they never played this one live... The rest of the song is Shagrath growling with the guitars, drums and a piano playing in the background, as he tells the story of a Death Cult which will slaughter the entire human race.

Another epic track is the follower, Allehelgens Dod I Helveds Rike, translated as The Death of all Saints in the Kingdom of Hell. It begins with some heavy riffage which is sure to get you headbanging and doing a couple windmills. Then Shagrath comes in with some decent growling and even attempts to make some shrieks like in the old days. Mustis offers us some movie soundtrack symphonic riffs and everything works well in order for you to imagine heaven being torn asunder and all its residents burning into the fiery pit of eternal torment which is known as hell. Shagrath's evil laughs adds more to the devilish atmosphere. And when you expected it the less, Vortex comes in with some beautiful singing, one of his best, which once again add more to the epicness of the song. Sadly, after Vortex ends his part, the song repeats the same riffs from the beginning to Vortex's arrival. And with one last shriek about Satan's dinasty and some burped lyrics, Shagrath ends this epic song.

Sadly, after this the whole album begins to sink into worthlessness and the only thing worth of an honorable mention would be the symphonic riffs of Eradication Instincts Defined, which I'm more than sure that belong to some classical song. All in all, this album proved Dimmu's wish to attract a new audience: the symphonic metal audience, but the problem is that they don't realize that they're slowly starting to become too cheesy and corny for their own good. For God's sake, just leave the symphonic metal stuff to Nightwish, they're far more experienced with this style, and return to your 90's roots!

Favorite tracks: Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, Blood Hunger Doctrine, Allehelgens Dod I Helveds Rike