Possibly Their Best To Date - 90%

Draconist, September 26th, 2003

This is my first review over here and I'm glad I'm reviewing Dimmu Borgir's latest album. Why? Simple. Because it's one hell of an aural attack making 'Death Cult Armageddon' one of the best and interesting releases of this year. I must admit that I didn't think I was going to like this album, at least not this much. I think that 'Death Cult..' is a big improvement from 'Puritanical Euphoric Misantrophia', and I'm comparing it to this album in particular because both have maintained the same line-up.

The 11 tracks are straightforward metal. Forget about an instrumental opener for that is past for the Norwegians. The first track, 'Allegiance', begins with samples and guitar distortion then at 1:20 kick in a series of blast beats leaving you breathless. And while in subject I must say that unlike 'Puritanical..' the drums here sound the way they should. In fact the overall production in this album is a very good one maintaining a polished sound throughout the whole record. The guitar riffs are very heavy and Mustis gives a great performance on the keyboards, giving the atmosphere a feeling of a movie soundtrack. I must admit that even though I'm not a huge fan of Shagrath's voice I think that his voice has improved from past releases, though I'm still partial to certain voice-overs.

Overall I think that the album maintains a very good standard of musicianship and that 'Death Cult..' is possibly thier best release to date. It's my favourite for sure!

Look out for the following tracks: 'Progenies of the Great Apocalypse', 'Lepers Among Us', 'Blood Hunger Doctrine' and 'Cataclysm Children'.