Don't Bother - 65%

Drunken, April 28th, 2005

I bought this CD on pretty much a blind purchase. I had only heard a few 30 second clips from this band, so I didn’t know too much about them when I got this. I was also a little hesitant when I was buying it for two reasons: Number 1: It was used. Somebody obviously didn’t like it. Number 2: The CD cover looks like something I would see on some Atreyu or Avenged Sevenfold album. But I’ve seen a few good CD’s in used bins before, and you can’t judge a book, or in this case, a CD, by its cover so I decided to cough up the $6.00 and try it out.

Well, I could have spent the $6.00 a little better, because this is one of those CD’s I will rarely listen to. It’s just that I’ve heard what is contained on this disk so many times and performed way better by other bands like early At the Gates or The Crown. A lot of the riffs on the CD are pretty cool, but seem to get a little repetitive. Not as repetitive as the drums though, almost EVERY song has the same bass, snare, bass, snare drum beat we hear oh to often in this brand of Swedish trash metal. This beat makes up the verses and choruses of pretty much all the songs, with very few exceptions. The vocals are ok, nothing special, but not bad by any means.

This album could have been good, but with the setbacks it has, it isn’t. If I had it my way, the drumming would vary from song to song and the riffs would differ at least a little bit. Some bands can play clone riffs through a whole CD and it still work out well, but not this time. Do yourself (and your wallet) a favor and don’t worry about this. Just pop in some of The Crown instead.