Music for Depression - 99%

Nojoch Akab, January 21st, 2013

When I started listening to this album I thought, "Dies Irae has changed not only members but musical style." I confess that I was surprised, I was disappointed for a moment and I almost turn my CD player off. However the guitar arpeggios with minor chords and elongated choruses of soft atmosphere, as in the songs “Fight” and “Hate”, stopped me at a kind of psychedelic charm, like I was listening a song of Pink Floyd or Lantlos' first album.

Undoubtedly the most important thing of this album is its artistic innovation. I do not care if Dies Irae has betrayed his style, if now sounds less aggressive than in the past. I ponder his musical evolution into something more atmospheric, with rich melodies and rhythm changes that suggest sad and desolate emotions. For example in the song "E7ven", which seduces with its arpeggios and slowness. Here everything seems desolate and almost silent, but this feeling is caused mainly by the music. After few minutes, this song changes tone and the vocalist sings with courage, while the music accelerates. For me this is a climactic moment, because the song resumes its slowness and ends with a guitar solo, which causes a psychedelic hallucination like that caused the old progressive rock.

Dies Irae seems in no hurry, "Want" begins with guitar arpeggios that synthesize emotional depression of the entire album. This depression is cornered in the shadow of ingenious harmonies and let the time go slowly. The imagination flies and generates fantasies saturated of loneliness and sometimes accompanied by courage.

In "Secret Veils of Passion" music is high quality. The only problem I find is at the vocalist. I think Dahern has no good intonation and safety in aggressive moments of the album. In contrast, in songs like "Free" his use of soft voices is fortunate, because it helps to maintain the atmosphere of emotional distress.

Despite the problem of vocalization, music is the best. In this album can distinguish progressive rock inspirations and maybe the Jazz of the late twentieth century. In truth, I was expecting something different from what had occurred Dies Irae in the two previous editions. I was right; the change has been remarkable and fortunate.

If you are fond of Amesoeurs, Lantlôs, Alcest, Les discrets, among other bands of similar style, I think "Secret Veils of Passion" will interest you and maybe can become of your favorite. I'm happy because Dies Irae has returned and I hope it stays alive for long with better music.