Majestic and spiritual ambient music - 95%

kluseba, June 18th, 2011

"Die verbannten Kinder Evas" is one of the most spiritual ambient dark wave bands that should please to anyone that likes to listen to calm and atmospheric from time to time to dream away. In comparison to other bands from the gothic scene, the Austrian duo has neither commercial approaches nor too overwhelming orchestrations and focuses on a very simplistic style. On the other hand, the band still varies from song to song in their calm and mysterious coherence and doesn't repeat the same patterns over and over again. Calm and spiritual male choirs and fragile female vocals are underlined by smooth keyboard orchestrations that sample pianos, violins, tubas and more sound samples. The music is much more focused than the rather similar vocals and nothing disturbs or distracts your attention from the epic and cleaning sounds. To my surprise the band creates a celestial atmosphere with lights and shades that doesn't sound limited, cold or artificial in any way because of a lack of budget, professional musicians or a truly professional and widely spread distribution.

I just want to pick out three little examples. The introduction and the following title track "Come heavy sleep" for example have Gregorian passages and sound like a peaceful hymn full of sad and yet vivid emotions without being depressive or dumb at all. "Dim atmosphere" has some great samples of classical orchestrations and establishes an almost celestial and hypnotizing atmosphere as most songs on the record. The organ sounds and tuba samples in "Sad silent home" lead and arise to a more and more complete and complex sound with authentic piano and violin sounds. This detailed and diversifed song establishes a very majestic and epic atmosphere.

Every song has some little variations and a quite unique sound but the changes are only slight and fragile and the whole album sounds like one overall ambitious but yet in the details very calm, spiritual and modest symphony. That's why I could describe any song out of it as I have no personal favourite and they are all on an equally high quality level. You could truly fall asleep to this music but in a very positive meaning because this album is filled with warm enchanting harmonies that create a floating atmosphere. If you are a spiritual person and simply want to take a break from your everyday life, do some meditations, do some yoga, do some prayers, relax in front of a wood stove or simply listen to something inspiring before you go to bed this record is an absolute must have in your collection. It's sure that you have to be in a very calm and open minded mood to listen to this kind of music and this is something which one simply can't do every day but this is the only limitation of this little masterpiece. Get this rare to be found treasure if you seem interested by my review.

If you ask yourself why I don't mention anything about metal in here, the reason is that this has nothing at all do with it and is simply great ambient music for open minded people.

Melancholic mastery - 90%

Suechtler, May 26th, 2008

„Come heavy sleep, the image of true death
And close up these my – my weary weeping eyes
Whose spring of tears doth stop my vital breath
And tears my heart with sorrows sight swoll’n cries.”

The first verse of Die Verbannten Kinder Evas’s second album, which is, like all lyrics on this album, taken from English Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley pretty much tells the listener what the atmosphere on this near an hour lasting musical journey is about. While on the group’s first album mastermind Richard Lederer (better known as Protector) was heavily influenced by the music he was writing for his main project Summoning, on Come Heavy Sleep we can hear the sound moving even more in Gothic/Darkwave territories while always maintaining a strong Neoclassical aspect not often seen by artists of this genre. Gone are the Summoning Minas Morgul-era-like programmed drums, gone are the harsh vocals, which were used on one track of the s/t, gone as well is fellow band member Silenius’ compositional input.

So what exactly can be expected from this album totally played on synthesizers, a fact, which could accompanied by the album’s release date, lead a potential listener to the thought that he might be served 57 minutes of fake sounding orchestra and poor compositions done by a young musicians from the genre of black metal who wanted to do something eclectic? Well, I was amazed by the sound and production of Come Heavy Sleep when I first listened to it more than two years ago and I haven’t had to change this opinion yet, as while not sounding as real as on DVKEs most recent effort, all the instruments, mostly orchestral string and brass ensembles are used, come over quite realistic, and much more important, totally awesome.

The combination of the aforementioned polyphonic, multilayered orchestral instruments with kettledrums, which are used sparingly but to the greatest effect leads to a sublime, magnificent atmosphere created by the music. On top of that, there are the dreamlike vocals, alternating clean male vocals done by Richard himself, who also has a very nice clean voice and clean female vocals done by his sister Julia. While the vocals can sound quite effect-laden sometimes, they perfectly fit the music, most impressive are the male/female duet sections, which can for example be heard in the album’s title track.

In addition to all that, it must be said that there is quite some variety on Come Heavy Sleep, something which some Darkwave artists lack. The album’s sixth track, The Past, presents the listener with simple but effective piano playing over the steady rhythm of the very organic sounding kettledrums when Richard’s vocals kick in only to be interrupted by a brass sections. As I said before, this album sounds less like Summoning as the band’s debut did, but some parts still seem as they were taken from some unreleased B-sides collection by Summoning like some parts off the fourth track misery. This is not necessarily bad as in my opinion Summoning are prime creators of epic musical art, but others might disagree.

Now hopefully having described Come Heavy Sleep’s music well enough, I’d like to mention that while being very good and the best DVKE album, this is not perfect. The intro and outro are both too long for their own good, the atmosphere created does not justify the amount of repetition used. Furthermore, even though there is quite some variety, Come Heavy Sleep demands a special kind of mood from the listener, as it still is nearly an hour of slow, melancholic music. If this is what you’re looking for, look no further, get this album as I can assure you it will be to your liking.