A legendary compilation. - 95%

Seducerofsouls85, June 25th, 2011

I know "Greatest hits" albums don't tend to get great ratings on the metal archives, and rightly so in some cases, but I would highly recommend: The Best Of Diamond Head. They have made such a great choice of tracks on this one, and some of them are not blindingly obvious numbers, which is a relief because Diamond Head do have a diverse catalogue. I would recommend this for people who are probably new to Diamond Head, or never cared to dabble in their discography. Why? Because after hearing this, I gurantee within a week you'll be purchasing: "Lightning to the nations", "Borrowed time", and "Canterbury". The songs here are that consistent, and I enjoy the way they have been laid out, which allows the album to maintain the attention span of even the most sceptical fans. Diamond Head are fellow countrymen of mine, and back in the day the press were calling Diamond Head the natural successors to Led Zeppelin, but unfortunately the masses just weren't in the mood for Led Zeppelin's heavier, swankier more down to earth little brother. But even if the legendary legacy never did plan out, this listener feels they achieved levels of metal/rock mastery in it's most pure and organic form, and dare I say it these guys may not have been as commercial as Led Zeppelin, but they probably had more of a influence...how many riffs can you count on this album, which have been ripped off and re-moulded by thrash bands worldwide? If you think Venom and Motörhead were the only proto-thrash pioneers, then your entire life has been a lie.

"It's electric" and "Shoot out the lights" do a great job opening this compilation album, not only because they're extremely catchy songs, but this is the sound of N.W.O.B.H.M in it's prime, when it was the most superior metal scene in the enitre world, and I do not mean any disrespect to habitants outside the U.K, but you're metal scene past and present owe bands like Diamond Head a huge debt. I don't care if you listen to Metallica or Morbid Angel, but those bands just wouldn't have existed, plain and simple. "Sucking my love" is epic with some of the best and most interesting guitar work, I have ever heard committed to a metal song. Sean Harris goes a bit nuts on this one, letting out orgasmic moans and groans, but you know what? It damn well works! "Call me" is quite a interesting little number, it has a very somber feel but not in a nostalgic staring at the bottom of your beer, type of somber. It is more uplifting and toward the end, the listener is issued hope. Of course there is "Am I evil?" which despite achieving legendary status when Metallica covered it, I can quite honestly say I prefer the original. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound pure but the original is better, and I feel Metallica lost a lot of the vibe on this track, giving it an evil Venom sound. "Making music" sounds like a radio friendly rock number, but I'm not ashamed to admit liking this because it is good and it is catchy, but at the same time it is still very Diamond Head. "To the devil his due" is just epic, Sean Harris displays a great vocal performance, but then again he does on every single track on here. The only thing this album is missing is "The prince" but like I stated at the beginning of my review, I'm actually glad they did not pick the obvious numbers too much. You need this album in your life, you obviously need their original discography more, but even if you own all of their albums, this is worthy of purchasing so you can listen to some great Diamond Head tunes in the car without changing discs and risking a car accident. I do know what else to say other than this is value for money.