Simply Stunning! - 100%

TheBlash, July 13th, 2011

Deconstruction is an album for which I have been waiting for a long time. I am quite a fan of Devin's and although I completely enjoyed Ki and Addicted, It feels as if I've been neglected of some true heaviness from Devin Townsend, and the wait was definitely worth it!

I've been looking forward to this and Ghost for quite a while, and listening to Devin's interview on Metal Messiah Radio I found myself even more excited when he announced the use of an orchestra and a choir, and he sure knows how to use them right. But that is nowhere even near the true highlight of the album; the best part for me definitely has to go to, well, the straight-up over-the-top-ness of it.

Upon looking at the tracklist, all the hope of a serious album might seem to go down the drain (I mean, what's a Juular and The Mighty Masturbator? Really?), but believe it or not, even in the midst of that ridiculousness he still manages to make it all, well, not seem ridiculous. In fact, The Mighty Masturbator and Deconstruction (a song primarily about cheeseburgers) are what I believe to be the highlights of this album. But I promise, everything else is just amazing. Within eight minutes of listening to this album, I remember thinking, "Holy crap! This is great!" There are innumerable layers at any given point in time.

Now, if you are one of those listeners who found Blind Guardian's A Night At The Opera just too full of stuff, this is not the album for you. It's just... so thick it's incredible. I really don't have anything bad to say about this album. I mean, it even has a guest appearance from Ziltoid the Omniscient. Speaking of which, I wonder how Z-squared is coming along......

Seriously though, great album. Definitely worth its weight in Unobtanium.