A raw and fun unknown classic! - 60%

brocashelm, March 2nd, 2006

The other day I was rooting through some metal vinyl I hadn't spun in some time and happened upon this number. Remembering that it was one of those legendary Pentagram/Virgin Steele/Piledriver/Exorcist phony band situtions, I gave it a spin after years of having it collect dust. Now while the sleeve and song titles would lend one to believe that this is death or black metal of a pretty cheap type, let me assure you that's not the case. What we have here is a spiky NWOBHM style occult metal job, kind of in the vein of Wichfinder General, but less spooky. The songs are pretty decent throughout, especially "Son Of A Witch," which kicks up quite a cloud of metal nostalgia. One of the problems of this release are the ear-piercing vocals which hopelessly date the album and sound pretty stupid when you consider how well King Diamond performed them right around the same time this album came out. Another weakness is that side two wastes time with a drum solo! But with metal skinsman Joe Hasselvander in charge I guess that's to be expected. Overall this comes across as an Iron Maiden-inspired romp through playful occult territory, blessed with a nice raw production job. I highly doubt this will ever be issued on CD, so vinyl hunters will be your best bet for hearing this one (unless vibrationsofdoom.com has real files of it). And just so you know, this was not a "real" band in the classical sense. It was composed of members of Pentagram and Virgin Steele who apparently did this kind of extra cirricular metal activity quite a bit.