Desire - Pentacrow - 95%

gates23, January 19th, 2005

This cd, in my opinion, is the epitome of emotion. This, along with My Dying Bride's "The Dreadful Hours", is what I listen to when I'm down. From the intro of "A Ride in a Dream Crow" to the last seconds of "The Crow Shelter" I'm in a different world I guess you could say.

Well on to the review.

We start with A Ride In A Dream Crow, kind of odd name but it fits their image I suppose. I'm pretty sure the beginning of this song is a sound sample from The Crow, but it's been a long time since I've seen that movie. After the sample it moves to a nice piano piece, not a very long one, but it adds to the song. Tears vocals kick in immediately after, and well I won't ruin the song. The song has a nice pace for death/doom, and Tears vocals are amazing as usual. I like how he uses so many techniques, but I'll get into that later. The guitars are also great, although they say on their website that they only used one guitarist...it sounds like they used two in some places.

Next is a cover of Candlemass' Solitude, no need to explain this song...Desire's take on it is quite interesting. The make it completely their own, its of the death/doom sort instead of trad. doom.

Now on to the epic track(s) of the cd, When Sorrow Embraces My Heart - Movements I-III. Tear's vocals really shine here, he puts his all into it. From whispers, to blackish screams, and to Esotericish grunts and even some of those deeply accented clean vocals. Both guitarists were used on this song, and they both have mournful solos close to the end of Movement III. I love the solos myself, they really add to the song. Flame contributes as normal on the drums keeping the nice slow pace. The bass isn't all that audible, but I'm not that great at identifying bass anyways. The ending is great to, there's a short verse saying that love is suicide, then a sound clip of some guy shooting himself and his girlfriend crying. Its a great ending for a great song. These 3 tracks are my favorites on the cd.

Death Blessed By A God is a more heavy death/doom song then the rest, and the majority of Tear's vocals are the deep grunts. This song took a while to grow on me, but I like it more and more every time I listen to it.

The short outro is a nice exit from the realm that is Pentacrow.

The only reason I gave this cd a 95 instead of a 100, is because of its lack of heavyness. This is possibly because of production, or maybe they wanted the atmospheric touch...I don't know. This is a great cd, if you like emotional death/doom and ever come across this, pick it up.