Death metal madness - 80%

shantanupatni1991, February 25th, 2009

I discovered this band in the most unusual way. It was while making sure I had every single Absu song or not, that I came across their split release with this band. A name as simple and unoriginal as ‘Demonical’ wasn’t quite encouraging, but the fact that it’s a death metal band from Sweden was enough. Luckily, my assumption wasn’t wrong and thus no mistake was made.

Now this band was formed after the split of Centinex, who gave us a couple of decent records themselves in the 90s. People who are aware of the band can guess what this release might sound like.

It is half an hour of solid death metal attack. If you’re looking for a new sound this isn’t what you need but if you’re looking for a good death metal record to keep you busy for the next week, you’ve come to the right place. Aggressive vocals, powerful drumming and skull crushing riffs have been put together to create a monstrous record.

The first half of the first track, Suicide Throne, prepares you for the brutality which follows. The section is dominated by drums but accompanied by the unusually great riffs; it might remind you of Slayer’s legendary “Hell Awaits” which follows a similar pattern. The number of slower doomy atmospheric sections is relatively low but that shortcoming is taken care of by the high use of leads, something not commonly seen in the genre and missed by listeners like myself.

The songs flow at full throttle and are characterized by uncontrolled speeds. I won’t deny that it sounds ‘hasty’ at times but then it doesn’t matter considering this is something meant for specific moods. At the end of the day, it is good for what it is. The only problem one can precisely pin-point is the lack and inaudibility of bass.