Towers of death metal - Part 1 - 100%

Dark_Mewtwo1, August 15th, 2008

I reviewed this album about 4-5 years ago, and I raved about how great this record was. Before it got removed, I had been meaning to update the review, it was very childish, it looked like a 15 year old had wrote it. But that doesn't really matter, the point of the review was to talk about how great this album is. I consider Demilich's Nespithe to be one of two "towers" of death metal: albums so untouchable, along with Gorguts' classic Obscura album, that they "tower" above everything else. I don't know what possessed these drunk Finnish guys to write this mind-warping record, but I'm really glad they did. It's impressive.

First off, I highly recommend anyone not familiar with this band to visit Demilich's official website and download this, and all their demo material. The demo works had, as another review put it, a putrid, rotten sound. To me, the demo tapes were old slabs of beef, and the music were the maggots slowly eating away at the decaying flesh. However, the leap from the demos to this record is astounding. The music no longer reminds you of 2 month old milk. This makes you picture unexplored universes, the darkest depths of existance, and the most paranoid sectors of your mind. It's a sci-fi movie almost, with the twisting, burrowing guitars jumping from riff to riff, melody to atonal melody, all kept in some sort of awkward alignment by the drum work. I've been listening to death metal for a long time, and I've yet to find an album that sounds like this. And all this without taking Antti Boman's vocals into account. I've seen a few discussions on whether Antti pitchshifted his vocals to sound the way they do, but I highly doubt it. They sound like a drunk man burping into a microphone. Yet somehow this makes sense. It's a voice from the past, present, and future. It's the voice of a subconscious mind. I cannot imagine any other vocal style fitting the music as well as these vocals do.

My only two complaints are the usual old school death metal complaints: the bass is not very audible, and the album is too short. Valid complaints to be sure, but they seem so insignificant here. Looking at the big picture of this album, everything is as it should be. Nespithe wouldn't be Nespithe if you changed it even the slightest bit. It's an album to be heard at least once in your lifetime, because there isn't anything as strange sounding, or as musically filling, as this is. Simply put, this album will stand the test of time. Not because of what genre it is, not because of the history of the band, or anything else, except the music. This is some strange, twisted music, an example of creativity unlike any other.