Going a Step Back.. - 89%

indianmetalhead, May 11th, 2008

This album was one of the most anticipated albums of the year, at least for me. I got a copy of it the day it was released and i instantly put it in my cd player and initially couldn't feel the vibe that i got from "The stench of redemption”, but the band members never said that it was going to be like their last album. Steve himself had commented that this album would be a slight return to their classic legion or the nearest i can relate to is to “Serpents of the light".

The album even though being close to its predecessor stands out to be pretty different from it but we are not here to compare two albums. "Till death do us part" departs from the melodic sound and focuses more on brutality rather than being technical. Songs are longer compared to any other Deicide album and sometimes this might work as a disadvantage for the album because the songs might get a little repetitive. As a refreshing change the band departs from its satanic, Christ bashing themes and is spewing about marriage and relationships with some intelligent lyrics from Glen Benton.

The production is pretty standard for a death metal record, it is not overly polished and it is not outright crappy. None of the instruments in the production are dominant which is a good thing as it gives a very raw and organic sound which adds to the quality of the album. The drumming on every new Deicide album just doesn't stop getting better. It seems that Steve is growing younger and faster after every album and he just shines on this album. He manages to maintain a good balance between the technical ability and the speed. What is interesting to notice is that not only has Steve done drum duties but has also played the guitar for this album which is extra ordinary and he deserves all the respect for that. Glen Benton just grows as a monster as well with his voice not faltering at all and continuing the brutal assault on our ear drums. The vocals are not as varied as the last album but in certain songs the variations are outstanding and maintain the grip on the album.

The album starts and ends with instrumentals aptly titled 'The beginning of the end ‘at the starting and ' The end of the beginning' at the end of the record. The intro does sound like the God's sedition from “the stench... “ and is a mid tempo track which is unusual for Deicide but does provide a good start for the album which continues to the next track which is the title track followed by ' Hatred of all Hatreds ' which is a blistering track with some groovy breaks and solos which are well executed by the session guitar member Ralph Santolla of Obituary. A few other outstanding tracks are “In the eyes of god ",” Not as long as we live “, "Horrors in the halls of stone “ which is the longest song of Deicide and is executed brilliantly.
If you are a Deicide fan then do not accept an album better than "The stench of redemption" but then do not think that the album sucks because it is not like "The stench of redemption ". The album has some good positives of its own based on which it does stand out and does tell you that Deicide is still going great guns.