Continuing The Formula From TSoR - 80%

ConquerTheBaphomet, April 29th, 2008

So, Deicide put out a follow-up to The Stench of Redemption. I'm sure the hype for this album is big and definitely deserved. However, with the course of Deicide's progression (or lack thereof at times), this album isn't going to strike you any differently.

Deicide is following the same formula as with The Stench of Redemption with Jack Owen's mark on this band immensely prominent. His style of melodic interludes are what Deicide needed to progress and progress they have. But with this album, the riffs aren't really there as much as they were on the last record. They sound a little rehashed and forced.

Steve Asheim's drum sound is just as good as on the last record. If anything, he's the best part in this band these days. I loved the production of the drums on the last record and I like them on this album.

Glen Benton's vocals are surprisingly still decent. You'd think after recording Vital Remains' last epic that he wouldn't have much left in the tank but he's proven himself on this one. Another surprising aspect of this new album is the fact that Benton's lyrics aren't incredibly childish and boorish. He actually wrote things of substance. Of course, I don't believe in anything he says but as a lyricist, I can appreciate the thought process. The Satanic aspect of Deicide has always come off to me as a gimmick to young teens looking to rebel in any way. The mantra is overplayed but obviously for Deicide, it's all they have to go on so it works for them.

If I was to have checked Deicide out for the first time, The Stench of Redemption and Till Death Do Us Part would be 2 albums I would stick with the most.

Good tracks: Not As Long As We Both Shall Live, In The Eyes of God