Deicide go groovy - 85%

TheSkrypter, April 13th, 2012

This is an album that requires a few spins to be fully understood, because it doesn’t correspond to the traditional Deicide sound – or so it seems. Actually, this album is 100% Deicide from top to bottom, because you have the typical very unhealthy dose of anti-Christian hatred and bigotry, the excellent twisty and galloping riffs, the daze-like solos, the harsh pounding bass, the brutal extremely fast blast beating drums and the deep exasperated guttural grasp that made the Deicide brand famous. The production is also very good; every instrument is perfectly audible with that somehow unclean filter that makes death metal sound so damn cool and heavy.

What apparently makes this album sound non-Deicide is the substantial amount of slow, groovy and down beat passages, which aren’t at all common it previous works. Well, the thing is that those moments actually bring some freshness to the band’s discography, because they confer a doom-like feel to some songs, and that brings out a whole new level of evil for the band – because fast and furious does it, but slow, groovy and contemplating does no less. Just think of bands such as Obituary and Asphyx, which alternate faster parts and groovy or doom-like ones and they sound great. The issue is that those bands mixed different elements from the beginning of their careers, and Deicide decided to do it only now.

The final result is a pretty good death metal album, perfectly entertaining and fun to listen to a fair amount of times. It is not the best death metal album around, nor is it the best Deicide album, but it is far from being a less than very good piece. Just listen to this album without comparing it to previous releases and you will see how catchy and mind blowing it can be, both the faster and the groovier parts – and still as evil and blasphemous as Benton can ever be!

Deicide - Insineratehymn - 90%

Orbitball, November 30th, 2011

Despite the negative feedback that Deicide was given for the quality of this release, I still think that it's underestimated. Sure the riffs are less complex and there's a limited amount of leads, but I think everything flowed throughout this whole album. We can do without the lyrics, but that's what makes Deicide Deicide. When I originally heard this album, I too had a negative opinion about it. Now with repeated listens to, I beg to differ.

Compared to past releases, the album is way less technical. That doesn't make it unworthy of praise. The riffs go well along with the vocals. There are backup vocals as well. I think that it's only Glen doing the backup screams. But mostly his voice is burley as usual. But this time, you can somewhat understand what he's saying without looking at the lyric sheet.

The Hoffman brothers put forth quality music when writing this. I don't think that they got lazy, I just think that they wanted to put forth something less technical riff-wise. For Insineratehymn, it's back to the basics with the guitar playing. Still good leads, just a lot less of them. Tons of tremolo picked riffs mixed with basic picking. Glen's bass guitar could've been a little bit louder, but I think that it was good enough.

I really liked the creativity on Deicide's part. They have had previous albums way more technical than this one, but overall, Insineratehymn hits home with me. Nothing wrong with the music, it flows. For those that abhor this album, again I beg to differ. Sure they took a long while from their previous release to make another 30 minute album, but still I think that it's good.

For guitarists like myself, we tend to be pretty critical when it comes to sub-par album releases. Just because this release isn't as technical as previous ones, there's no need to put this one down as a flop. Deicide tried to make it more basic when they wrote this album, nothing more. The leads could've been more incorporated in the mix, but what they put forth was enough I think.

Songs such as "Bible Basher" and "Standing In The Flames" are quite memorable, as are all of the songs. The production was decent. Jim Morris did a good job with the mixing of this album. For the most part, all of the instruments were mixed evenly even though like I said the bass could've been a bit louder. Everything else was finely heard, the guitar, drums and vocals.

Give it a try to accept this album that did so poorly with the feedback from fans. Again I like this album, I think it's another good one to add to their discography. It's not too technical, but still catchy as all hell. Download "Bible Basher" on YouTube and make your opinion after you hear it. If you think that it's a complete waste, try listening to it a few more times before you judge it. One hell of a sick album!

Exhausted bubblegum blasphemy - 57%

autothrall, May 18th, 2011

The first five or so minutes of Insinteratehymn promise a few husky thrashing maneuvers smothered in Glen Benton's percussive barking and grunting, but ultimately it winds down into what might be their most mediocre studio offering. It's a punctual, stripped down affair upon which the most bare of concepts are repeatedly hammered in predictable processions of mundane brutality. Once again, I am left with an underwhelmed impression of this so-called legendary death metal band, and once again, I neglect to believe they are worth the hovering hype that has accompanied them since they broke out in the early 90s. Deicide can play their instruments along with the more practiced of their fellow craftsmen, but compelling they aren't.

The initial potential unleashed is through the streaming venom of "Bible Basher", rapid guitar work of a more melodic, modernized feel, until the verse arrives, vocals following directly along the arc of the punching riffs. Yet another of Deicide's myriad blasphemies focused on ye olde deer in the headlights, the Christian minister and follower. By this point, as a new century was dawning upon us, and I'm pretty sure we had all 'got it' already. I take no issue with this band's stance on organized religions, in fact I may damn well share it, but there must be an intriguing way to pursue the stance beyond what seem like the rantings of a bitter teen kicked out of Sunday School. Benton is not the foulest lyricist in the genre by a long shot, but just think how cool a deeper, more ambitious, intellectual excavation might come off in his hands?

Alas, the rambling sacrilege is not even the weak point of this album, but a series of diminishing returns in how the songs are written, like descending a ladder of quality. "Forever Hate You", "Standing in the Flames", and "Remnant of a Hopeless Path" are all ridden with increasingly dull death/thrash grooves; good intentions gone awry when the transitions and tempo shifts fail to produce anything of note. The leads toil and tear through the raucous mass of muted chugging like knifes through gelatin, but they're rarely memorable in of themselves. A number of the tracks are even more mediocre and meandering than these, like the ceaseless groove and chug of "The Gift That Keeps On Giving".

Even when the band experiment with the clinical swerving of "Suffer Again" or "Worst Enemy", the steam is too quickly lost, and the best that could be said of "Apocalyptic Fear" and "Refusal of Penance" is that they conjure up half-decent thrash riffs in their dry environments. Compared to the bluster and brutality of a Legion or even Once Upon the Cross, Insineratehymn seems to lack even the most banal malevolence the band were able to stir up though their lyrics. In a sense, this album almost seems like Deicide-lite, caffeine free carnage. The production feels all too processed and boring, and the simplification of the composition just doesn't work in its favor. Hardly an offensive work to be sacrificed upon the suck-pile, but neither is it worth a repeated glance when so many better alternatives exist, even from the band's own stock.

-autothrall

Man, I Hate Death Metal - 31%

DawnoftheShred, August 26th, 2008

Glen Benton, the infamous, blasphemous frontman of Deicide, has always done his best to try to offend people with his band’s lyrics and image. With their fifth record Insineratehymn, he’s actually managed to go one further: he’s managed to offend his own fans with his band’s stale songwriting and castrated sound.

Insineratehymn finds Deicide exchanging their tried and true brutal death song constructions with ones littered with half-tempo groove riffs. Nothing wrong with mere experimentation (even if you have a good thing going) but this album loses all of its energy by focusing on the slow, often mallcorish groove rhythms. And even when they pick up the pace, like during “Apocalyptic Fear” or the intro of “Halls Of Warship,” it just sounds like a bad reiteration of better things performed by this once fearsome band, or in a few cases, their old influence, Slayer (that opening riff from “The Gift That Keeps On Giving” is just an odd-time version of the one from the beginning of Slayer’s “Bitter Peace”). Even drum legend Steve Asheim, whom I would usually praise incessantly, does not manage to save this boring romp through generic death metal fodder.

It’s not even that the album is so terrible; it’s that it’s terrible in light of what this band is capable of doing. Deicide is not meant to tread in slow death metal; atmospheric, groove or otherwise. If I wanted to hear that sort of shit, there are a dozen other bands I could patronize to get a much better product. Deicide just can’t pull that kind of thing off. And the fact that the Hoffman brothers are still displaying above average guitar chops (by their standards, anyway) and that Glen’s bass is moderately audible doesn’t do a damn thing to make up for the uninteresting track-list. Even the lyrics have taken a significant toll for the worse. No longer does Glen demand his listeners “you will give praise to Satan”; instead he’s content to bore them with tired ravings about how God doesn’t care about them and impaired, mallcorish lines like this:

“Smash his crucifixion right against your head
Contents under pressure explode, kill your ass.”

Glen’s musings have always been the lyrical equivalent of beating a dead horse, but now the horse is really starting to reek.

As this review is being written in hindsight, I’m fully aware that the band would make an about face a few albums later, leaving this misstep and its successor as isolated incidents. Even so, it’s not a pleasant listen and should only be trespassed upon by the most open-minded of Deicide fans. And even then, check out opener “Bible Basher,” then stay the hell away.

Insineratehymn - 84%

darwinvsjesus, May 2nd, 2008

Okay. Insineratehymn. Everyone says it is terrible. But, I don't really get that. I am a big fan of extreme music, and I really don't care much for anything out of the underground. But I do indeed appreciate many sub-genres (grindcore, black metal, death metal, doom metal, and such). This album is very much unlike other Deicide releases. It's slower, it's chunkier, and it's stripped down. But for what it is, it is a great release. It reminds me a lot of the trashy/punk-ish type grind/death that Frightmare, Blood Freak, and Lord Gore play. I enjoy that sound, but it is not always what I want to hear. That said:

The music here is typically mid-paced. There are some blast beats, but those are also mid-paced, and not very frequent. I find that this sort of helps the music, though, because it makes them more effective. Also, the chunkier parts are really solid because they are straight-forward heavy-fucking-metal riffs. I would not exactly call the overall sound of this album death metal' , but more like a 'thrashy old school grind' sound with death elements mixed in. So, the music is not so technical, but sometimes it should not be. The slow down seems to be a nice change of pace, and it does not lose any effectiveness whatsoever. The solos are also sort of simplistic, but I would not call them weak. They do not feel forced, as some crazy fast solos sometimes too. They seem to fit the stripped down, thrashy feel of the album. very awesome. The production is also very, very, good. The sound is crisp, clear, and everything is mixed very evenly. One thing I don't like about the music is the "verse/chorus" scheme. I don't like that scheme in general , though, and for this particular sound it is only a minor complaint. It does not detract from the effectiveness of the music at all.

The vocals are excellent. Benton has a deep, raw, gurgle/ grunt. I say gurgle, but I don't mean a Dying Fetus gurgle. I mean that the low-end of his voice has subtle, and very aggresive sounding gurgle. I prefer deeper vocals than this, but I find that his vocals suit the music very well, because the guitars are not tuned very low, and it all seems to fit together properly. (note that the lyrics are pretty lame).

Overall, it is a good album on its own. I would recommend it to fans of extreme music in general, but not to 'death metal purists' who still live in 1991. It is a good album for what it is, and there are many times where I would rather hear a mid-paced album over a crushing, 500 bpm album (like brodequin, nile, etc).

Give it a listen. I think if you listen a couple of times, understanding its a slower, chunkier death metal album, you won't be disappointed. It really does have some great moments on it.

Avoid this pile of horse crap. - 19%

Avaddons_blood, March 17th, 2008

Holy hippo fucking shit this album sucks massive turkey balls. When the fuck did Deicide get so lazy? Seriously where are the fucking riffs at? Its like they wrote this album in a single fucking day. The Hoffman brothers come up with 3 boring uncreative riffs and try to make it into a song. Since when is slow palm-muted chug chug chug go nowhere riffs considered quality death metal? This album is full of these fucking useless riffs.Sure the album has some solos here and there, but what is the point when you got no fucking riffs. The solos are not even that spectacular either. Its like instead of trying to write a good solo they settled for the first uninspired thing they churned out.

Its not just the riffs and solos that fail on this album though, its also the fact that every fucking song runs together. You may not notice that there are track changes because every track has the same shitty riffing. Glen doesn’t fucking help either, seriously this guy has zero diversity on this album and his lyrics suck ass too.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this pile of horse crap and pick up Deicide first 2 albums before they decided to churn out last unimpressive crap like this album.

Inineratehymn - 90%

sysyphis, March 12th, 2008

Okay, there is a lot of hate for this band out there and I am going out on a limb by saying I have been and will always be a fan of everything this band puts out. Biased review? Probably so, but here goes.

This record and In Torment In Hell seem to be the two most hated of Deicide's discography. Insineratehymn is stripped of the "semi-technical" riffs that appeared on Legion and Once Upon the Cross, but these riffs are catchy and bare bones in a good way.

Bible Basher starts it off with some meaty riffage that is mid paced and sets the stage for the rest of the record. Because of the space that allows the music to breathe more, the vocals seem more in your face than ever before. The bass is also audible and gives a heavier, fatter bottom to the whole thing.
The bass lines are as simple as they come, but fit the riffs perfectly.

The production seems slightly dry, and a good example of this is the opening riff to Standing In The Flames. This is a good thing. It is a different sounding and constructed record for Deicide.

Of course the lyrics are always criticized and they are no different in this case, but after listening to existentialist black metal pondering the transcendence of astral planes and third rate lyrical subject matter, it is nice to hear some good old fashioned, simple god slaying lyrics. This isn't rocket science, and nobody in Deicide ever claimed it as so.

The pace picks up on Halls of Warship, and Apocalyptic Fear. Speed comes into play again and seems more to ooze more power set against the slower pace of the rest of the record. The songs themselves are constructed so they are catchy and brutal. The band sped it up again on the next album In Torment In Hell, but then got criticized for doing so. Some say they should have given it up after Legion. I for one, am glad they kept it going.

An excruciating listening experience - 27%

Noktorn, March 20th, 2007

I take no real musical schadenfreud from seeing once mighty artists fall into a creative abyss. And so I can derive no joy at all, not even that of malice, from Deicide's 'Insineratehymn', an album of such unmitigated worthlessness that it seems impossible to have sprouted from the loins of the same band who created 1997's sublime 'Serpents Of The Light'. With the advent of the new millennium, Deicide saw fit to revamp their sound yet again, abandoning the previous LP's strains of black metal in favor of a groove-tinged, more modern sound. This was, as you can see, a terrible, terrible decision.

I'm not generally one to criticize a band for modernizing their sound. Bands change and develop, and for obvious reasons often don't want to stagnate in one artistic epoch for too long. However, there is something to be said for consistency, and dedication, and loyalty, and 'Insineratehymn' is one of those albums that exhibits literally none of those qualities. Deicide is a band that was designed specifically to be a stalwart of the Florida death metal scene. Glen Benton himself has even stated in later interviews that death metal is a genre that is supposed to stay relatively close to its roots, and that if it strays to far it ceases to be a member of the genre. Is hindsight 20/20 for our favorite becrossed frontman? What else can explain this horrific turn for the worse? A cash-in is an obvious aspect, but it's really not good enough to be one. And I doubt it's artistic credibility, because Deicide had a very limited supply of that from square one.

So instead of following the path of a wonderful, stirringly artistic album like 'Serpents Of The Light', the band decides simply to abdicate all its quality in favor of what is essentially the death metal equivalent to Pantera, only minus all the things that make Pantera a catchy and memorable entity. There is no 'melody' to speak of; you could confuse this for Meshuggah's rote machine crushing., but lacking the atmosphere and technicality of that band. Riffs are three-chord chugfests; little tremolo picking is to be found here. Glen Benton's interesting, clever lyrics are entirely gone, instead opting for absurd, predictable blasphemy without even the slightest trace of thought. Drumming is like that on 'Once Upon The Cross'; barely even there. Even the band's attempts at 'groove' fail miserably when compared to any of their contemporaries.

'Insineratehymn' is clearly Deicide doing exactly what Deicide shouldn't. Instead of high-speed melodic riffing, we get mid-paced chugging. Instead of fury, we get groove. Instead of wit, we get 'Bible Basher'. 'Insineratehymn' is a completely unacceptable shift from the band's previous work, and works handily as an example of everything the band gave up. Don't even look at the absurd cover art in your local record shop; just buy a second copy of 'Legion' and turn away.

Good For What It Is - 76%

GuntherTheUndying, January 2nd, 2007

Deicide has released some great albums that have become cult classics, like "Legion" and their debut, yet the metal world tends to forget about some of their later works. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Deicide got worse after those two classic albums, but that doesn't mean they got bad. One of Deicide's albums that got unfairly trashed and forgotten was the band's fifth LP: the experimental "Insineratehymn." On Deicide's fifth album, the American native quartet began slowing down and experimented with some different musical formations. "Insineratehymn" shows Deicide changing their pace in a musical direction that's simpler, yet still good.

The chaotic riffs and drum patterns on previous Deicide efforts has been removed from "Insineratehymn," yet it still manages to sound like a decent death metal record. With the technical characteristics gone, guitar duo Brian and Eric Hoffman fill the void with a mixture of mid-paced thrash riffs and groove tunes. Each track starts out with a fast riff before it breaks into a slow groove that accompanies Glen Benton's voice perfectly. The only negative aspect of this less complex guitar playing is the lack of diversity in the riffs because some of the songs end up sounding way too similar and predictable, but this only applies to a few of the tracks as most of them sound quite different from each other.

Steve Asheim easily finds his niche in this style of invalid technicality by connecting his signature blast beats with simple drum patterns that fall right into place with the riffs. When the riffs begin to pick up speed, Steve goes right into faster drum patterns that usually include a barrage of blast beats, but he begins to dive into simpler drumming formations once the riffs lose speed. Even though this is a much simpler LP musically speaking, "Insineratehymn" is still a good death metal performance by the Deicide tribe.

As usual, Glen Benton lives up to high expectations with his vocal performance on this album just like he does on prior Deicide records. Glen's deep and tortured growls match the heavy riffs in a way that leaves an imprint of utter destruction upon the listener. The use of high-pitched barks is considerably restricted on this album, which can be a downer at times, yet they do sound rather nice when used.

I wasn't expecting to be entertained from this album after hearing all the negativity that hovered around it, but I actually find "Insineratehymn" to be a pleasant record. This obviously isn't as good as classic Deicide, but I think it's a good album. You should try "Insineratehymn" if you are familiar with Deicide and wish to hear something slightly new from this death metal outfit.

This review was written for: http://www.Thrashpit.com

Disappointing - 30%

jciscrazy, March 17th, 2005

I bought this because deicide is legendary and so I figured it had to be good. WRONG. This CD is boring as a brick taking a shit, actually that would be interesting, this is more like shit turning into a brick. The lyrics are asinine… yes… you hate god: shut up. Usually when you can understand a death/grind/black vocalist its kind of sweet, you finally have a band you know enough lyrics to sing along with. On this CD I understand most of it… unfortunately. Seriously the lyrics on this CD are too terrible for words, which doesn’t even make sense because lyrics are words…whatever.

Other then lyrics this CD is still weak, the songs are too slow, it’s just boring (not all the time but for about 50% of the CD), vocals are unimpressive, guitar parts are alright, 50% of the time, then cliché in a bad way the other 50%. Can you say monotonous? I can’t because I am too tired after listen to this. There just is nothing good to say about this CD. Don’t buy it unless you own every decent death metal CD ever released or like throwing money away, and if you like throwing money away please email me and I’ll take because with this review I just saved you 14$, you owe me anyway.

I gave this CD a 30% because although 50% of each song is decent; that still leaves no actually good songs, and any CD without a good song is lucky to get a 1%.

Solid... - 85%

Snxke, April 17th, 2004

Despite the stripped back technical aspects and the bare vocals this CD has a unique charm among the Deicide catalog that few other bands have been able to touch. Let's face it, Deicide are a band that have somewhat left their prime long ago (especially after such a stunning debut LP) so the least they can do is attempt to branch out and capture new vibes...right?

This CD is primative. The riffs though, are quite full and meaty and the singing is gruff and aggressive. Their are a lot of odd hooks here and there that keep you humming the songs as well. This may be seen as a bad thing by death metal fans whom claim Six Feet Under is the worst thing to ever happen to the genre but lets not confuse our ideas here. Decide are still kicking it for the devil and this decently-produced effort kicks like a mule, even if it lacks anything that will reinvent the genre.

I would say to all Deicide fans to buy this CD, I can find little wrong with it on any level other than the lack of screeching on the part of Mr. Benton. Sure, it's a little rushed and it's not the ultimate death metal LP that people assume that Deicide still have in them.

It's just a meaty, tough-guy styled death metal album that is meant to be enjoyed with a beer and a hatred for the lord above and nothing more. If you're looking for melody go for the new "Scars of the Crucifix" and drown yourself in the double-tracked vocals and screeching guitars. If you want sheer satanic brutality go on to the debut as it's probably among the most violent and important death metal albums ever made.

Otherwise, just listen to this, bang your head for satan and stop complaining about how Deicide have yet to repeat their past glories.