Takes You to Hell - 91%

StainedClass95, July 5th, 2014

This is the self-titled debut album of Deicide. This album wasn't their first release, as they did have a demo or two of sorts under a different name, but many of the songs are taken from there. I personally prefer the versions here, as the playing on this album is tighter. I don't hold this album quite as highly as Legion, but this is still a great release. Between the great performance all around and the fiery aggression, this is worth hearing.

The guitar riffs are superb. The Hoffman's rhythmic attack was on for the first two albums. It isn't what I would call particularly technical, but it is very fun and aggressive. That's not to say that this is constantly fast, as this album does have more mid-tempo groove sections and songs. Sacrificial Suicide and the title track are still fast songs, but they're not blazing, the slower passages really bring out a stomping feel. The soloing is a low spot, but I'd take this lopsidedness over Necrophagist's in a heartbeat. Ironically, it was when their riffing got lazy that their soloing improved. I actually do prefer this soloing to Slayer's, mainly because there is less of it. The short and squealy is what you'll get on those, so keep that in mind if you demand a higher quality of leads.

Often this band is compared to Slayer, and I know that there is some influence, but it isn't that obvious just by listening. Most death metal bands have slayer influence, but I just don't find it as strong as others do. Judging from what I've heard from their early demos, they weren't that much like them at any point. I'm not denying that the influence is there, just that I don't see the value in that comparison. There's Priest in Slayer, but that comparison takes a good deal of attention to realize. In actual sonic terms, I would liken this to Sacred Reich's or Sadus' debuts. There's something to the former that definitely seems similar in the riffing, but I'm not a musician and can't describe it in terminology. In the latter, it's more in approach. Both albums feature high-speed, short songs, and a kind of pummeling attack on the listener, though this is more fleshed out.

Asheim is an excellent drummer. As far as Florida drumming goes, he's pretty close to the top. He has a very, very forward attack that consists of a ton of double-bass and even some blast beats. He's not super-technical in the fusion way, but he is certainly one of the best from this school of percussion. The production on his drumming isn't what I would call ideal, as it gives it a sound akin to bashing on a stuffed trash can. His playing is fantastic, but this production job had to grow on me. Many of Burns' early jobs feature an unpleasant drum sound that is louder but not at all good on its own and no better in the context of a band. I don't know who actually wrote the music, Glenn claims Steve wrote it, but I'm skeptical. I don't know any of them in person, but judging from what the Hoffman's wrote on their recent Amon album, I would be surprised if they didn't at least have input on these songs.

Now onto Benton, I think people are too critical. His bass playing is solid, and he can raise it when he needs to. His early vocals are my favorite. I always enjoy his layering and variety. Someone mentioned Carcass, and yes they had a similar thing going on. Anyone think of some other bands? I haven't heard any others from this time. These vocals are fairly unique, and more understandable than usual for death metal. Compared to his vocals on Once Upon the Cross on, I think these sound much better. Many have mentioned that his vocals became more guttural, but I don't see how that's an improvement. He went from this to sounding like NYDM. I listen to some NYDM from time to time, but it just doesn't fit the music near as well as his original style did. His lyrics are also often criticized. Admittedly, I'm not too fond of them, but I'm not listening to death metal for lyrics. I'm listening for the music, and I hope the lyrics aren't distracting. I don't feel these are nearly bad enough and they are very catchy. It's also worth noting that much like Mercyful Fate, the debut was more lyrically varied and less Satan-obsessed.

The last point I will address is the atmosphere. There really isn't an overt attempt at one, nor is there a conventional death metal atmosphere occurring. No, this is a little different. I wouldn't say that this has no atmosphere, but it's more in the way of the attack being strong and the topic of the lyrics. I mentioned fiery, and this definitely has a hellish atmosphere about it. Between the fast, low-end production, furious playing, and Benton's dual vocals growling and shrieking about damnation, this sounds mad as hell. I don't think this is on accident, as it seems the members of Deicide were really mad about religion. This vitriol is spewed forth in a very effective manner, and it helps conjure a vibe that the music itself wouldn't have been able to on its own.

To wrap it up, I feel that this is one of the greatest death metal albums of all time. This album is definitely thrashy, but not in the death-thrash way. This just happens to be full steam ahead in the same way as many thrash bands were. Many criticisms have been leveled at Deicide, Glen Benton, but I feel most are irrelevant when discussing the music of the early albums. I would happily recommend this to any fan of death metal, and probably some thrash fans as well.

Satan's Favorite Record - 90%

meximetal95, October 27th, 2012

If You wanna talk about all the blasphemy in metal especially death metal since its inception, you don't need to look any further then Deicide and their eponymous debut entitled "Deicide" obviously. This album hit a new mark in death metal that would stand the test of time and would in my opinion predate a lot of bands coming in to the death metal scene afterwards.

It's 1990, the 2nd wave of death metal was bestowed upon us with bands particularly from the Florida scene(bands like Deicide), and are very distinct from the first wave of death metal bands in terms of sound and composition. The lyrical theme this album brings to the table is straight up blasphemy to the religious fucks and their god who try to shove their own beliefs in everday life down peoples throat. With that said, this is how I would respond to them by shoving this album and all its magnificent musical glory down their own throats.

Although I respect the influence Venom has had on the metal and death metal scene because they were the first ones to incorporate satanic themes into their music, their lyrics are a bit cheesy and dull when you compare them to this album. Deicide is not a cheesy metal band with simplistic music writing, and cheesy lyrics based on whatever it is they write if they wanted to. No, quite the contrary because a listener such as myself, would notice by the end of the first song, that this band combines such prevalent brutality, speed, thrash elements, a bit of technicality, and is the first band of its time since Slayer to bring such a strong satanic atmospheric vibe that would leave an enthusiast like myself mentally scarred. I LOVE IT!

The band members here are very talented in their own respective ways. You have an awesome subpar lineup and quite possibly the best line up in Deicide's history. If I were to listen to this album for the first time, and look back at it 22 years later, I would say Glen Benton's vocals are so revolutionary because he literally sounds like satan from hell conveying the message in every song by letting you know that he's not fucking around, and will haunt your soul day and night with his predator growling vocals, which is a good thing because the vocals here are catchy. Oh, and his bass playing is pretty badass as he's able to add some grove to the songs, and a little intricate playing as well in some songs but obviously, he's hiding his true potential of harnessing the bass as the 2nd album would manifests his true skill.

The Hoffman brothers are one of the best dynamic duo guitarists in death metal, as each song that progresses with them, it's like they're trying to battle each other to the point where you can't really tell who the hell it is that is playing. So its pretty much evident that these two are equal in skill as I don't prefer one over the other. They create such a hellacious riffage vibe that literally makes me feel like i'm in hell which is one of the reasons I love these two so much, but unfortunately they're not in the band anymore and were the best Deicide had to offer in the guitar department.

I don't know who's as fast as a drummer, and consistent like Steve Asheim during the 1990's. He's literally the Dave Lombardo of death metal, and that's a huge compliment. The guy must be running treadmills on full speed because sometimes I wonder if he goes full speed on half of a song, takes a break, and splits the other half and mixes it in by sounding like he's playing at full speed throughout one song, but no that is not the case here because he must be playing from adrenaline rush or he has amazing lung endurance to play to such standards in a band like Deicide. Either way his skills are remarkable. He is able to stay consistent and not miss a beat in songs. His fast double bass adds a lot to the fast riffage of the Hoffman brothers and the vocal speed of Glen Benton's in addition with his overall performanc of high tempo beats, odd timings, and fills. This guy is a monster who can teach the drummers of todays scene a thing or two about extreme metal drumming.

Everything that has been said needs no further progression on this album review as the overall presentation this band brings to the table for a debut is truly groundbreaking. The production protrudes the sound and skill of every single member harnessing the instruments to show us that they are here to kick our asses. With all the Cons said about this album, there is one thing that bothers me about this album. It's that throughout the whole 30 minute listening experience, it sounds kind of repititve but hey its their first album so I'll give credit where credit is due, and Deicide definately deserve it. Buy this album, and relive one of death metal's greatest most prominent crafts ever produced!

No longer oblivious to evil. - 89%

Seducerofsouls85, July 1st, 2011

Deicide's notorious debut is one which undoubtedly deserves it's acclaim as a brutal tyrant, for it surpasses and exceeds any band's efforts at such stakes up until the point of 1990. This is one of the heaviest and most brutal albums of 1990, if not the most heaviest and brutal album of 1990. I think Deicide get over-hyped and at the same time get unfairly put down. The haters see Deicide as a gateway for the uninitiated into the death metal realm. I disagree with that notion, however Deicide still hold a candle to Morbid Angel and Death's earlier efforts, and rather than expand upon the lush dark atmospheric moods of say "Altars of madness" Deicide took the same sort of sentiments, but just delivered it with the force of a sledge hammer blow. Even though Deicide were not exactly bringing anything new to the table, this album holds enough consternate material to not just be a thrash album, over-glorified with the death metal label such as "Eaten back to life" of the same year. This is my favourite Deicide album and of all their efforts they never really topped this one, in fact they just expanded on the same ideas on "Legion" which is still a great album, it just never hit as hard, and every album after that kind of got samey.These were interesting times for extreme metal, especially those focusing on the occult and other blasphemic issues. This was just the tip of the ice berg though, with the black metal scene simmering away somewhere in Norway, on the verge of an imminent explosion which would be felt worldwide. Bands before and after Deicide had delivered the same subject matter, with much more musically accomplished results, and just to touch upon what I said of the black metal scene, those bands crafted terrifying atmospheres without relentless heavy impact, an ode all these years on that Deicide's strategy is still great, but perhaps we've come to realize this kind of music needs more quick-witted composition. Deicide may not be the most intellectual band in your collection, but I think we have all come to realize that this band were never put here to kidnap your soul and take you to the nightmare, like Death or Darkthrone. No...Deicide were just content to batter you lifeless, each song getting more and more punishingly heavy, by the end of this album you are crushed and shattered, the shell of the man/women you were before listening to this album.

With hindsight we all know Glen Benton's controversial antics tend to overshadow the music, maybe as the more lackluster their later albums became the more he went out his way to piss off everyone. But back in 1990 he surely was one of the most intimidating figures, emerging from the murky metal underground. He constantly branded an inverted crucifix into his forehead, controversial theatrics which just about shocked us all...this was before the likes of Mayhem when musicians actually started murdering each other and burning down churches, so do keep that in mind. But Glen Benton's vocals are quite effective on this album, reinforcing the robust chugging songs which lay waste to your ears. To be honest his vocals are not ground-breaking nor are they refreshing compared to other vocalists, they are just extremely fitting to the music, an important factor in my eyes whether you like his style or not. The guitars are thick, if previous death metal albums just hadn't been heavy enough for you, then this landed on the scene like a tank. Over twenty years on, those heavy chugging riffs make any attempt at brutality up until that point seem rather passé, not obsolete but what we once hailed as extreme was now more a historic stepping stone. The lyrical themes have been touched upon before by other bands, something every death metal band is slightly guilty of. Whether they took it to a whole new level is debatable, but I'm sure this album's material has caused just as many circle pits as Slayer or Kreator. The blastbeats give the music the unstoppable deliverance needed, but much like other bands they are never at the forefront of the music, more like something flashy and musically sufficient in the background. The opening track "Lunatics of god's creation" is like a door to the album, slammed open and shattered into splinters by the angst which ensues. The chorus is pretty memorable, and the riffs build up to some infectious hooks. It seems odd reading that sentence back, because death metal was actually catchy to begin with, rather than what we are used to today. Next up is "Sacrificial suicide" which truth be told could have been replaced by another track and we may not have missed it, but over time the quirky directionless solo and vocals have warmed on me. And what needs to be said about "Dead by dawn"? Those bludgeoning opening riffs spell out mayhem for this listener, and to this day I am addicted to that song more than you would care to know. Definitely one of Deicide's best tracks, and if you've decided you have no interest in checking out this band by this point, at least listen to that song before you vacate the premises. "Carnage in the temple of the damned" is heavy as hell and the subject matter is rather interesting, about the preacher man Jim Jones who ordered his parishioners to down some toxic substance which resulted in all their deaths. The opening audio snippet is so creepy: "...Drink the wine! Drink the wine!" The next three tracks are simply chugging brutal affairs, but "Crucifixation" at least has some half decent pointers.

So with all said and done, where does this leave Deicide's debut? I would not hesitate to call it a classic, if you listen to death metal you should surely have this in your collection. This particular niche of death metal became very popular with the likes of Nile carrying on much in this vain, musically of course. Surely we have gathered it was probably more innovating in terms of extremity, rather than atmospheric or anthemic quality. But you've got to "get" this album before you can appreciate it, so if you're still in some sort of doubt, try going back in with fresh ears. It was always going to be hard for Deicide to top this, and the fact they carried on with the anti-christian themes for the entirety of their career really has not helped in the originality department. But this album surely is the pinnacle of their entire career, and one of the first 90's death metal classics. But we are not talking about Obituary, Death or Morbid Angel here are we? This is no great push of the envelope, but the fact much death metal has decided to carry on in this vain must show something for Deicide. Their influence on the death metal genre is still felt today, as you have bands who constantly try and emulate this style, or those who purposely try and avoid it, either way the ripples are far reaching. And let's face it...I bet you bought this within a week of listening to death metal right?

Death metal acquires a gym membership - 70%

autothrall, April 6th, 2011

Deicide have long been the provocateurs of the death metal genre, riding and reaping the whirlwind of controversy that seems to cling to frontman/bassist Glen Benton like flies to the spoor and entrails of a sacrificial goat. From the very name of the band itself to the crude and blasphemous content of the lyrics, they feel as if they were built from the ground up to piss off the clergy, the censorship committee, and most importantly your Mom. To that extent, I've ever deigned to associate a 'bully' characteristic to their career, because I find a lot more muscle than merit through their sound. Deicide is like that tough and smelly kid from your neighborhood, that none of your friends invited to the picnic at the playground, but showed up anyway. You offer him a sandwich and a cola, because if you don't he'll kick your ass six ways to Satan, but he's not one for innocent games or quality conversation.

That trait aside, Glen Benton, Steve Asheim and the Hoffmans are neither excessively stupid or pedestrian as the analogy might infer. There is a particular aesthetic appeal to their 1990 debut which is difficult to deny. For one, the cover art is fantastic, a gleaming emblem of antiquity with glowing eyes that announce Bedlam to all those who gaze upon them, about as iconic as you can get during the formative years of the emergent genre. For another, the lyrics seem to hit all the right notes to cull the seething masses of rebels that would flock to such extremity. Serial killer Charles Manson is paid a minimalist homage through "Lunatic of God's Creation". Necromantic redemption manifest through "Dead By Dawn". The Crucifixion lampooned through the band's namesake "Deicide". Egyptian death magic given a wink through "Blasphererion". Not all of the concepts are necessarily novel or all that shocking; we had Slayer and Venom well in advance of this, but in the hands of the Floridian thugs they seem to receive a flesh layer of blood paint.

As for the composition, I was never quite convinced that Deicide were bringing to the table nearly as much as a Death or Morbid Angel. The duality of the grunts and snarls was novel if you hadn't been exposed to Carcass, and to be fair, they're often used here as the rule rather than the exception, to conjure the effect that this was a vocalist possessed of his occult convictions. Also, there is a peculiar punctuality to how the vocal lines are affixed to the rhythm undertow, an almost poetic hammer pounding ingratiated to the percussion itself. Deicide is an album of variation, mute-juggernaut mosh hymns enshrouded in blast work and frenetic if empty headed leads. Asheim was one of the better skinbashers of the scene, with strength of joints comparable to Pete Sandoval, if not the same unbridled speed. He's all over this album, and it is this performance, in addition to the chugging crunch of the Hoffman's that mark this debut as more influential than it might have had any right to be.

Here, there are few truly memorable components as far as individual guitar lines or transitions go, but the overall effect is one of unhinged barbarism conducive to a blood swilling lust for evil, and more importantly, a potent and incessant headbanging. "Lunatic of God's Creation" and "Sacrificial Suicide" make for a compelling one-two punch sequence, carnal brutality overflowing the steady drum battery through the sloven hostility of the vocals; and "Oblivious to Evil" has a curious swagger to its mid-paced verses, once again the lyrics following very closely to the pattern of the drums and guitar. Other standouts include the compressed, volatile thrashing force of "Deicide" itself; the ritual acrobatics of "Day of Darkness"; and the early Pestilence like flow of "Carnage in the Temple of the Damned" with its spike of solo chaos superior in my ears to any of the others.

Despite its strengths, Deicide is not, alas, one of my favorite cult death metal albums. Not even close. The individual tracks are consistent enough as a template for about 12,000 unspirited brutal death metal discs to follow, and no effort was spared in their construction, but there are painfully few, if any moments of meticulously calculated evil. Whereas a "Pull the Plug", "Chapel of Ghouls" or even "Memories Remain" would breathe a notorious aura of tangible horror, this is more an act of brute, overt strength. It has no subtlety whatsoever. The 'bully' again, stuffing that sandwich straight down your throat if he's not happy with the condiments. Scott Morris' murky but beef strewn mix here is perhaps my least favorite in the entire initial wave of Sunshine State slaughter; not terrible, but the bass hovers like dulled machine gun fire on the edge of perception, sauced over by the abysmal, too processed ministrations of the guitar tone.

All of these flaws will more or less see correction through the roller coaster track of the band's future discography. But here, fresh on the murder scene, the first of this killing spree, they drag against the musical and lyrical content. Decent. Unremarkable. It's ultimately a brutal but soulless surge, and while there seems to be a division among death metal fans as to which component is more important to the form, songwriting vs. sheer extremity and technical ability, I'd rather not choose sides: I desire both of these things. Deicide is focused far more on the latter than the former, more of muscle than malevolence. And though it's a potent enough establishing shot for the diabolic melodrama of the band's incendiary, infamous career, the black and sanguine ripples of its wake are more poignant than the source.

-autothrall

Deicide - Deicide - 95%

Orbitball, December 4th, 2010

From just 30 minutes of audio, Deicide unleashes their most evil and demonic release ever! With backup screams that makes Glen Benton sound like the antichrist, the most original and unrelenting musical genius comes about. I’ve never heard a Deicide album sound as so evil in its’ entirety. Not even Legion can top this death metal release that deserves utmost praise. Such original riffs to the songs featuring solos that are remarkably fast and furious. The lyrical concepts have always been the same by Glen, complete and utter blasphemy without any letup.

The Hoffman brothers on guitars here featuring solos that are ferocious. It’s difficult to distinguish who’s solos are who’s since both members share a similar amount of talent. In regards to the music, you have time signatures that are all over the place. Down picked riffs then enter heavy tremolo picking which gives the album diversity. Chords galore alongside Glen’s most Satanic vocal efforts within their entire discography. Glen admitted to doing a lot of heavy drinking before entering the studio to record this album. But that’s obligatory.

What counts here the most is the music. With so many passing years growing worse and worse, their debut and Legion are the 2 most amazing Deicide albums in existence. But on their debut, there is complete evil with vocals that screamed out it utter brutality alongside backup studio effect screams with it. Every song on here is entirely original in regards to the riffs, the solos and the overall musicianship. Songs like “Lunatic of God’s Creation”, “Sacrificial Suicide” and “Dead By Dawn”, these dominate the whole album. But every song is good no matter which one you choose to dissect and analyze.

Utmost intensity on every song and one song about Mr. Jones called “Carnage In the Temple of the Damned” which opens up history of blasphemy in the making. The ideas and song structures make Deicide what they were during the early days: a blasphemous, unrelentingly evil and demonic death metal band that used to have such utmost talent. Be it age, laziness in songwriting that they became over the years, their debut is on of the strongest outputs to date. The music is without a doubt so extreme and brutal with everything that you could massively tell that these guys meant business for Satan.

Their unique style of riff structures in each song kept this album flowing with so much intensity and adrenaline. Nothing could outwit this one. There is no comparison to this one that holds true for the band that that used to really dominate the death metal genre. Amazing how much they slowed down over the years and lost that total progression as musicians. Sorry to hear such a talented death metal quartet go to pieces. But what matters here is their debut and how much intensity involved in its’ making. A 30 minute death metal onslaught of precision. Don’t ever leave this one out of your death metal collection!

A truly evil and inspired album - 91%

Ck_Raging_Violence, December 30th, 2008

Fuck, to think that anything as evil as this was released eighteen years ago is pretty hard to believe. Bands such as Morbid Angel and Slayer were becoming famous for creating chaotic, evil thrash/death metal, but this album surpasses the releases of both of those band in terms of sheer aggression and intense delivery.

This is Deicide's debut full-length album and probably the best thing they have released thus far. It's a nasty, intimidating album, with a hellish atmosphere that few bands are able to capture nowadays. It's pretty over-the-top; most songs are extremely fast and relatively short, and the lyrics are ruthlessly confronting, even for those who don't follow a religion. It's relatively short length is wholly appropriate as many would consider a long album in the same vein as this as a fairly draining listen.

The openening "Lunatic Of God's Creation" starts off pretty mid-paced but soon speeds up to an excessively violent pace. This song, while nothing too special is pretty great and is a good representation of what you are going to hear for the rest for the rest of the album's duration.

"Sacrificial Suicide" comes up next, and is awesome. The song would probably be the most "accessible" on the album, but is still crushingly brutal. The first few riffs are sick. The whole song is a killer in general.

Nothing on this album, however, will reach the greatness of the fourth song "Dead By Dawn". (un)Holy shit! This is a fucking amazing song, and maybe the most evil death metal song around. The whole song is so damn chaotic, and the chorus with the screams of "DEAD BY DAWN!" is the album's most memorable moment.

This album is an intense and punishing ride. While maybe not the easiest thing to listen to, its bloody good if you're looking for something consistently fast, evil and satanic. Admittedly, there are better albums than this one, but still this is a great fucking album and is definitely mandatory for any fan of brutal old-school death metal.

DEAD! DEAD BY DAWWWNN!

True satanic hatred and brutality in death metal - 90%

MetalSupremacy, October 16th, 2008

This album is a fantastic slab of early death metal. It has inspired a huge amount of controversy over the years, for obvious reasons. Deicide as a band has always done so of course, but this was where it all started properly for them. This is where they unleashed their brutal sound of satanic hate upon the world for the first time in a full album. They influenced so many other bands that it's almost hard to believe at times. The sheer brutality on display here is incredible too; Morbid Angel was incredibly brutal and satanic too, but Deicide took this to another level. Not so much in terms of musical extremeness, as Morbid Angel had already created an album full of utter brutality, but in terms of the really extreme overt satanism and utter hatred of Christianity in the lyrics. Never before had such a concentrated blast of such absolute hate and utter scorn and contempt for Christianity and organized religion in general been placed within the context of death metal. This album is so overtly satanic, and yet it isn't self parody; Glen Benton, regardless of what he is now, was at the time at least quite clearly a genuine theistic satanist. That makes the music almost kind of scary.

The songs here are amazingly brutal. The heaviness was, at the time, incredible, and it's still incredibly heavy now. Glen Benton's voice sounded almost truly like a demon from hell spreading hate against the church. And the riffs and drumming? Well, in terms of advanced musicianship they were probably not the very greatest, but they were still clearly very good musicians. What they did fit the music extremely well, too.

The songs here are like a tidal wave of brutality and darkness. The guitar riffs that the Hoffman brothers create are some of the most vicious, angry, pissed off riffs ever, and Steve Asheim's drumming is excellent. However, it is Glen Benton's uniquely brutal vocals that really carry the songs. His hatred of Christianity is so extreme and overt that nothing is left to the imagination; but it doesn't need to be. The band throws all of this satanic brutality in your face, in such a way that it makes you angry too. Much as I'd like to, when I listen to death metal records, while they are all brutal, I rarely hear a specific guitar riff that actually sounds really full of genuine hate, malice, and rage. But Deicide are, or at least were at the time real satanists, who genuinely hate all organized religion and especially Christianity. Thus, when Glen Benton roars out words like: "Suicide Sacrifice, Destruction of Holy Life, Blood on Unholy Knife, Satan I sacrifice!" you believe he actually means it, and at the time at least he probably did. The lyrics in almost all of the songs have moments like this, though. On the title track, Glen roars out this little vignette of hate:

"Three days to rise
If he lives again he is sure to die
I killed jesus
Just to see him bleed on his pulpis throne
I am evil
I'm the Deicide and I killed the lord
No more reasons
I will kill the world in another form"

No other band had ever done anything like this before. This was satanic rituals, worship, and hatred of Christianity in musical form. It was everything the media feared, and while Deicide were obviously trying to be as controversial as possible with this album, that doesn't mean that their beliefs weren't genuine. And controversial they were indeed. Some people actually believed at the time that Glen Benton was actually possessed by demons, probably just because of this album.

Through the atmosphere of utter hatred, brutality, and satanism that the band creates through their brutal guitar riffs, excellent drumming, and the terrifying roars and growls of Glen Benton, who genuinely sounds possessed here(that, or he is actually a demon, that's how he sounds), Deicide created a new idea for death metal: to use it as a platform to spread hate against organized religion. It would seem to be the black metal bands in Norway that took this idea to its logical extreme, but US satanic death metal would continue to spread and grow, just as gory death metal did. So many bands nowadays are continuing with this kind of thing, spreading hatred against the church through their brutal death metal, and showing no mercy for the weak. And it is highly likely that almost all of these bands were influenced by what Deicide did and still does, and especially by what they first did here, with their first album.

This album is a death metal classic in every respect. Not only because of its influence on other bands within death metal(and maybe even in black metal too), but also because of its sheer power as an album even to this day. Very few death metal albums can create either a genuinely sinister or scary atmosphere, no matter how good they are on their own merits, and very few can convey a genuine sense of very real hatred for something in the real world, such as religion. This album does do the latter, in every way, without a hint of compromise.

One of the Foulest Albums This Side of Cocytus - 88%

DawnoftheShred, June 17th, 2007

And that's a damn good thing. As much of the early death metal legion decided to shock their listeners with violent gore-drenched tales of perversion, subhumanly low death grunts, and monotonous blast riffing, Deicide chose to shock their listeners in another way: by lyrically demolishing Christianity and providing a fucking amazing soundtrack to boot. This is easily the most vile album of 1990, as well as one of the most evil albums in the entire genre.

The album begins and ends with the sound of an iron gate, as if the entrance to hell can no longer contain its demonic fury for the half hour or so that the album lasts. The riffs that follow are blunt and forceful, never relenting unitl the album's final moments. The brothers Hoffman are quite adept at death metal riffage, blistering forth at a killer pace with just a hint of thrash metal at moments (the intro to "Deicide" for instance). These are propelled forth by the working of one Steve Asheim, a god amongst men and drummers. It's his performance that is most impressive here, playing full force at a variety of tempos. There is a bass guitar amidst this chaos somewhere, but it's unlikely you'll hear it over the fury of everything else.

But while Glen Benton's bass is drowned out, his vocals are not, by far. Still in the habit of multi-layering his insane screams and growls, there are many instances where he sounds like the devil himself, and is yet still discernable. Chris Barnes should've taken a hint from this guy. Hell, lyrically as well, as Benton's tales of blasphemy and satanism are far more sinister than anything that ever left Barnes' putrid throat.

The only downside to this thing are the solos. While the brothers Hoffman certainly have an ear for a memorable, heavy ass riff, they can hardly form a decent solo between them, insisting on only repeating the odd scale runs and whammy bar dives that Slayer's Hanneman/King were utilizing as early as '84. There are a few exceptions (those in "Dead by Dawn" and "Crucifixation"), but they're otherwise unremarkable.

But most people aren't going to listen to this for the solos. This is an album of riffs, of lyrics, of diabolical vocals, and of indestructible drumming. One of the better early death metal albums for certain.

THE death metal album of 1990. - 94%

blackmetalfan, April 12th, 2007

I originally gave this an 87, but after some careful thought, I have upped it a few points.

Death metal as it existed in 1990 was centered mostly on gore-related themes, stuff very few people could hope to take seriously. On the other end of the coin was Deicide. In the early 1990s, Deicide specialized in precise, blasphemous musical attack at the expense of tonality. Short, simple songs built on a few riffs, an insistent beat, and Glen Benton's vocals.

Not many death metal albums in 1990 succeeded perfectly at creating the atmosphere that the band members intended on showing off in their work. This one was different. The album cover alone was hardly preparation for the power contained within. Upon the opening of "Lunatic of God's Creation" we are welcomed by the now-typical Hoffman brothers' downtuned double-guitar attack, Steve Asheim's blast beats, and Glen Benton's (inaudible) bass and (very audible) vocal performance.

Death metal albums as a whole tend to come up a little short in the long run, only offering maybe 75% of classic songs out of the entire album. Deicide created something so rare on this album that even they could never better it later on. Ten classic death metal songs, and if any riffs were ever used in music textbooks as the gold standard on how to write death metal riffs, at least fifteen of them here would be a good start. Add to that the evil atmosphere the band presented vocally and instrumentally, and you have the classic death metal album of 1990. It's not all perfect, however. In 1990, Glen Benton's vocals were probably the most extreme the genre had to offer. Taken in retrospect nowadays, it's a little hard to take some of the songs seriously mainly due the overuse of overdubbed shrieks over the growls, something Benton would slim down as years went on.

At least five songs here are bona fide death metal classics ("Lunatic of God's Creation", "Sacrificial Suicide", "Dead By Dawn", "Carnage in the Temple of the Damned", "Crucifixation"), but the rest hold up very nicely.

One gripe remains, however. When Deicide started out as Amon in 1987 and released the Feasting The Beast demo, they were really onto something special, and the special part of that demo came in the form of the truly unhinged, uncheesy vocals from Benton, which he later reigned in on the 1989 demo and on this album. If Benton sang on this album like he did on the Feasting The Beast demo, this one might very well could have been as close to perfection as possible.

Minor gripes aside, this is one of the fifty most essential metal albums ever, and this one belongs in any respectable collection. Buy or die!

Kiss Your Ass Goodbye - 80%

corviderrant, April 14th, 2006

I remember buying this back in the day and being utterly blown away by one of the most savage American death metal albums I'd ever heard at the time. Thinking back, my girlfriend at the time (who was Wiccan) was not amused, all the more reason for me to crank this all the time on the headphones! And this still holds up pretty well, all things considered.

As per usual, Scott Burns' patented "Mushtone Drone" renders the production into a blurred mess of chunky guitars, buried bass, and distant clickety-clack drums. And it actually works pretty well, with the band lending a distinct and vicious atmosphere to this album that many other bands he produced simply lacked. While lacking in professional sonics, the sound of this album does work to its advantage, as other reviewers have mentioned truthfully.

The only things that detract from the overall rating are the soloing (mindless Slayer-style wanking that made Messrs. Hannemann and King sound like Yngwie) and the fact that, well, Glen Benton's vocals are simply too over the top all the time. He layers on so many tracks of screams, growls, and roars that it gets aggravating, and it makes me want to just tell him to shut the fuck up, already. He goes waaaaay into the deep end and it often detracts from the music's impact for my taste.

"Lunatic of God's Creation" is a suitable starter, but from track 2 onward this album really takes off and the savagery commences in no uncertain terms. "Sacrificial Suicide" (I loooooove that middle bit before the solo section, it will bang the head that doesn't bang!!!), "Dead By Dawn", "Blasphererieon" (however the hell you spell it) especially bring the slaughter into your room!

The albums after this one never quite captured the same fire and essence of pure unadulterated hatred for God and anything good at all that this debut did, it must be said. And Glen Benton needs to just pack it in, because he will never match it, just like Slayer will never match the destructive force of "Reign In Blood". Nuff sed.

Amazing - 99%

namelessheretic, January 13th, 2006

Production: Ambitious; aims high for acceptable production value, and falls short of this goal for reasons that no doubt have to do with lack of appropriate funding. The mix is raw, but captures the overall vision.

Deicide's debut comes at the listener with a force of a category five hurricane with intent to put one into a state of shock. Jaw dropping aggression executed with an atonal sense of rhythmic harmonic framework drive these compositions straight into a nihilistic exploration of anger and agony.

If one is lucky enough to have this be their first Deicide experience, the effect will cause the person to re-evaluate all they knew about extreme metal, especially if one is not familiar with this type of music.

Vocals here set a precedent for a new level of the "scream approach". The low-end growl accustomed to death metal is instead replaced with the yell of a wild beast on a mission to smother the listener with demonic blasphemies; using up to three vocal tracks to harmonize wretched varying degrees of antichristian tone. This technique paralyzes the listener, giving one no choice but to take notice of this maniac disciple of hell.

The aesthetic here is one of "all who enter abandon all hope"; Deicide has no intention on giving a happy alternative to god, but to enforce the violent tortures of the underworld and accept it as true reality.

Rhythm is the keyword; unique in how Deicide uses it, even creating vocal lines to give the added impression of another rhythmic layer. Even melodies strive to create deeper patterns of harmony to explore rhythm; this reviewer feels the hooks that result from this equally attribute to the overall spell this album invokes.

Bass is buried in the mix and unfortunately ignored, but guitars make up for it with abusive manipulation of distortion. High speed power chords and tremelo go back and forth between each other and is the focus of technique. Lightning quick solos muddy together a wide range of notes with the dual aspect of making sense when normally they would not in these type of patterns. The lack of style becomes the style.

Drums pound in a simple but ingenious intensity, complimenting these songs so well that at times it seems the songs revolve around what the drums are doing. Guitars and drums work together to hypnotize the listener while vocals bark theatrical satanic themes to give the listener the thrill of a lifetime.

This debut release mirrors the postmodern condition of those who see through the false hope that past generations tried to convince us as being truth. The value of this phenomenal artistic creation cannot be measured, or reached by many.

Essential - 90%

Vim_Fuego, August 6th, 2004

Spinal Tap coined the phrase "none more black". Well, there were none more black and evil than this when it ripped into the metal public's consciousness back in 1990.

This album was no groundbreaker musically, nor was it particularly original in the lyrical department. However, as far as malevolence, conviction of execution, and pure Satanic blasphemy, this was unprecedented. The name of the band itself means "the killing of God", and its hard to imagine any deity standing up to the aural onslaught inflicted here. Bass player and vocalist Glen Benton, the driving force behind the band, even declares himself ruler of the world on the title track.

While many a metal band has dabbled in Satanism and the occult to shock and impress, this band was the real thing. Benton, a lifelong Satanist, went as far as branding his forehead with an inverted cross to "drive kindness" from his soul. The cover artwork, and samples on the album further reinforce the Satanic majesty of this heretical creation. Benton was also made an honorary member of the Church Of Satan, while the populist face of Satanism in music, Marilyn Manson, had to pay for his membership!

The subject matter for the album mainly involved praising Satan and killing Christ, but there are also homages to two demagogues of death and destruction, Charles Manson and Jim Jones. Manson is referred to as a "Lunatic of God's creation", and Jones' dubious achievements are celebrated in the song "Carnage In The Temple Of The Damned".

The production is often criticised, as the sound lacks bottom end. Benton's bass is almost unidentifiable and the vocals are less guttural than they could be. However, the lack of bottom end stops the riffs from dissolving into unidentifiable sludge, and allows good definition of the whirlwind riffs and the crazed, manic solos. Also, you can understand almost every word Benton spits forth, something often neglected by death metal bands, but used to excellent effect here. "Dead By Dawn" is one of the outstanding tracks featured here. Solos Slayer would be proud of, a jack hammering double kick drum attack, some nice double tracked vocals featuring demonic screams, frenetic blast beats, and a simple shoutalong chorus are a recipe for pure death metal blasphemy.

This album is a short, yet unrelenting, blast through Satanic death metal ferocity. Many thought Deicide would be a short lived gimmick band, but more than a decade after the release of this album, Deicide still have a Crucifixation.

One of the best albums ever - 100%

Thrasher666, February 10th, 2004

This is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It has it all: blasphemous lyrics, harsh vocals, brutal riffs, and intense drumming. Sounds pretty cliche, right? Wrong. Not when you take those 4 elements and do them the way Deicide did back in 1990.

I'll start off with Glen Benton. He is the one everyone thinks of when they hear the name Deicide. His vocals on this album are less "br00tal" than on later Deicide albums, but still great. I found this to be common among other classic death metal bands (Dave Vincent is less brutal vocal wise on Altars of Madness than say, Covenant. Chris Barnes is less brutal on Eaten Back to Life vocal wise than on Tomb of the Mutilated). Vocal wise he has always had his own voice, which has become part of the Deicide trademark. His vocals are intense, harsh growls and shrieks, and he pronounciates his words pretty well. Glen Benton has released 7 albums, with nothing but anti-christian and Satanic lyrics. This may get old for some, but again, it's all a part of the Deicide trademark. As far as his bass playing abilities, he has a lot of skill. He either follows Brian or Eric, but doing that is no easy accomplishment, especially if you're handling vocals as well.

Now onto the Hoffman twins. Brian and Eric are some of the most overlooked metal guitarists, ever. Deicide's riffs are as brutal as you can be, without being overly brutal. What I mean is, if you take a band like say, Deeds of Flesh, the riffs are indeed BRUTAL, but so brutal that it sounds chaotic (I'm not knocking off Deeds, I am a fan of their music). Deicide are as brutal as you can be, and still easy to follow riff wise. As for their solos, they are thrash solos from hell. On later albums they even do more melodic, mid paced solos, but on this album, what you can expect are lightning fast solos that would give Kerry King a run for his money.

Now onto Steve Asheim. Another highly overlooked musician in metal. When people think of death metal drummers, they always think of Pete Sandoval. Steve Asheim is right up there with Pete. His double bass beats are solid, and his bass drums sound like an AK47 aimed at the head of a priest. He doesn't do as many snare blasts as other death metal drummers, but his drum beats are intense. When he does snare blast, it's like a jackhammer to your temple, about to make your head explode. What Steve has done was take thrash drumming and made it twice as extreme.

How can any fan of metal not like this album? Deicide will always be my favorite band, and this is definately one of their best albums. If you have not heard this album yet, I am not kidding when I say: YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS IN METAL!