Lame poprock album - 35%

Hammertime, March 9th, 2005

Def Leppard has done good hard rock in the 80’s but what happened after that? The guys grew older and they started to record the kind of shit what Slang album is among the other newer releases. This album is not even near to be called metal, I won’t even call it hard rock. Slang is an album full of boring radio pop. There are so many slow songs on the album that it’s irritating even to think of listening to it straight through. Pyromania and Hysteria for example are albums that are from a different planet compared to Slang. In my opinion Joe Elliott is just an average singer. He needs good material to shine. If I put Boyzone album to my stereo (which I don’t want to do) it would sound almost similar to Def Leppard’s Slang. Probably it would be hard to find the differences between newer Leppard and Boyzone. That’s a pity, because I still enjoy when I’m listening to Def Leppard’s High ‘n’ Dry, Pyromania or Hysteria album or some other tracks like Ring Of Fire from Retro Active.

However if you’re into mainstream pop or you’re a big fan of Boyzone or Backstreet Boys, you will probably enjoy this album. Yes, I have heard worse music than what this album contains. I just can’t stand that Def Leppard has done so average and terrible pop album. There are some good hard rock moments in that album but those moments are very rare and hard to find. Don’t purchase this album if you have heard only 80’s or early 90’s Leppard. It will be a huge disappointment as it was for me a couple of years ago. I have warned. You will be bored to dead with this release. My points will be going to Rick Allen, the only one-handed drummer I know.

Best tracks: Deliver Me, Gift Of Flesh, Turn To Dust