Just awesome - 100%

HawkMoon, August 24th, 2002

Reading the previous review, and it hit me that I was thinking the same thing about this album! Fucking weird. Anyhow, I've never been into Deep Purple much since their studio albums are.. quite boring. But this can be compared to 'Unleashed in the east', just as David says, just because it is a live album above all other live albums, so to say.

I never even got this one until just recently, I knew it was a kind of legendary album but never really tried it. So a couple of weeks ago I traded some crap albums for this with a friend of mine, I thought 'what the heck it could be cool to own' and I couldn't have been more right. As soon as I got to hear it I was like "wtf! is it really normal to do live albums like this??"

Okay first of all the dullness of the studio efforts is gone and some songs are made into long and improvised versions which always is a kick to listen to. And then there's the timeless rock classics "Smoke on the water" (but even in that one Blackmore improvises a little on the riff in the beginning) and "Highway star".