Best Live Recording Ever - 100%

Metal_Thrasher90, November 26th, 2013

It took a long time for Purple to put out a live record, but when they finally did, it proved they were the greatest heavy metal band on stage. The time was right, after the crushing success of “Machine Head”, their most ambitious record by that time. The place was right as well, a far foreign land that back then wasn’t that popular to go on tour as nowadays. Purple were the first to conquer the enthusiastic Japanese audience with their spectacular live shows. Kiss, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Queen and the rest came afterwards. These guys stage performances were already incredible before this live recording was released, but it captured the magic and brilliance of the band at its best for the enjoyment of fans worldwide.

This double live LP features the highlights from 3 immense shows: 17th August in Tokyo, 15th and 16th of that same month in Osaka, 1972. 3 Amazing shows with Deep Purple unleashed, incredibly inspired on each number. The stunning energy and passion of these live versions is far superior to the studio originals, much faster, intense and heavy. The epic opening track “Highway Star” or the classic “Smoke On The Water”, for instance, are totally raw, devastating, featuring those abrasive raging riffs of Blackmore completely insatiable, shredding like mad. The aggression and violence of these tunes increased on stage, the band sounds completely motivated and furious, much more than in the studio. This albums demonstrates Deep Purple have always been a live band, they don’t need studio tricks and stupidities in their music, no overdubs, just honesty and brilliance, proving their true potential in front of their fans. Tracks like “Child In Time” or “Lazy” are an exhibition of that outstanding talent, superior virtuosism and creativity, with those extended instrumental passages you won’t find in their studio LPs, those endless improvised jams plenty of technique and exquisite musicianship. An absolutely unpredictable set-list of renewed classics that give the chance to every band member to demonstrate their abilities. Gillan’s finest vocal work ever and most astonishing screaming display can be found on “Strange Kind Of Woman”, which still nowadays sounds so wild. “The Mule” as well, with that lengthy skilled impressive drum solo of Paice going crazy is pure art and delight. And “Space Truckin’” offers the best finale possible, the epitome of 70’s heavy metal instrumental supremacy in 20 minutes of total catharsis, complexity and improvisation.

Deep Purple definitely refused completely to follow their studio material patterns, each cut here with no exception features alternative arrangements and a bunch of modified structures that haven’t much to do with what we heard before. The improvised extensive instrumental sequences are numerous, properly executed and constructed, consistent and based on totally elaborated musical bases. The technique and magnificent skills of each member make this perfection possible, we got here a completely professional line-up. I must highlight the excellent work of Blackmore and Lord, leading the pack in total synchronization. Both demonstrate their huge potential during these vibrant shows, and an exquisite classical/baroque music influence that makes this stuff reach another level. The way they execute their respective lines is plenty of grace, discipline and sophistication. However, these live tunes are far from inoffensive, cheesy or excessively melodic and clean. Pure aggression and strength, frantic speed (like on the opening track, particularly) and massive riffing is what you will find here mostly, the definition of heavy metal. Back then, nobody did it that fast, harsh and loose! I must insist on the total control of these guys on their technique, their speed, making their music sound lethal and rough but, at the same time, focused, far from chaotic. Virtuosism and grace are splendorous in one of the most influential live albums ever. This stuff inspired notably young musicians of the late 70’s NWOBHM (Blitzkrieg, Aragorn, Venom, etc.), also later groups like Overkill, Metal Church or Wargasm. Generation after generation, “Made In Japan” still sounds so fresh, challenging and brutal in its own way. You won’t find anything like this nowadays, that unique magic and sound of the 70’s was one of those things that could only happen once in life.

Essential, legendary and extraordinary. A masterpiece from the true 70’s heavy metal pioneers, an honest performance without traps or cheats. Still Purple don’t get the credits they deserve for their contribution to the metal genre. They were playing speed metal already back in 1971 on the “Fireball” album title-track, and with this live record they set the rules of what heavy metal was all about. Technique, aggression, dynamic tempos, huge riffs and screaming vocals, their distinctive music elements moved away from the generic bluesy trends of the decade to make a big difference. This would be the first of an extensive live discography catalog. And this first one is still the deepest.

Metal: Made in Japan - 100%

Ritchie Black Iommi, February 20th, 2012

Legend says that, during the finale of Child in Time's performance, a man decided to take his own life. There are two possible interpretations for this: He felt shame while he was listening crappy music or the exact opposite, he felt that after this, nothing could reach such a level of gorgeousness. My guess is that probably it's about the second option.

But, seriously talking, the point is this: what makes this album so bright, great and landmarker of what would come next in staging?

It's a difficult question and I won't refute the possibility that perhaps there is no good answer for it. And when there is no answer for explaining an event, yes, this thing is in the supernatural territories. Likewise, Made in Japan by that monstrous band, pioneer of metal music (alongside Black Sabbath), known as Deep Purple, is a record beyond human understanding. The only thing for sure is that nothing in the newborn world of heavy metal would be the same after this. If you have any doubt about DP and his belongings in the Metal Archives, this albun alone should fade them away. Those five classic-virtuoso guys planted the seed of the genre and gave the genetic information for the future generations to come. BS and DP sounded metal/protometal in their studios, but guys from Deep Purple had a plus: they were heavy metal PERFORMERS.

What would be heavy metal without melting away all the strings of the guitar? Pumping the keyboard til it breaks? Singing in every possible range available for the human throat? Firescorching the bass and the drums til everything burns out? A paradoxic answer would be... ¿hard rock?. Yeah. That's the difference between those genres (besides of the sound, riffing and beating style, of course). You cannot be a heavy metal band without being a gigantic force over the stage. While that overrated pop-rock band known as Led Zeppelin believed that they were the wise masters of the cosmic beyond and were doing stupid things in stage (that can be noted in DVD's and with the exception of John Bonham, who was a brilliant player) magnified by massive propaganda by people who knows nothing about metal, Tony Iommi started to figure out that Black Sabbath needed to improve their metal performances on stage (around 1973... ¿coincidence?) and figured out, slowly, that Ozzy Osbourne was not the guy for that.

But anyway, let's talk about magic, that would be Made in Japan.

The opening is so speed/power metal. Highway Star melt the irons and bangs every head around. Gillan singing was at his best ever. Nothing was impossible for him. The String Sorcerer alongside Maestro Lord was able to drive insane every people around only by playing a single note on his instrument. Paice and Glover reached the climax in the collaborative endeavor of providing the beat and rythm. Same happens with epic/progressive number known as Child in Time. Gillan slashes, Blackmore slashes, Lord Slashes, Paice and Glover slashes. Period.

The most known version of the most known riff in the history of metal (and even rock music) is from this album and even there we can listen to Blackmore trying to improvisate something. But this version of Smoke on the Water has some extra points by the keyboarding of Lord, which goes beyond usual reach. Is brilliant.

The Mule is from the underrated studio album Fireball. And, let's say, is one of the masterpieces of DP, specially if we can get some live performances like in Made in Japan. Ian Paice evolves to the metal god level (actually, all guys from DP MK II are metal gods) with such an inspired drumming. If you like to beat the hollows, listen to this. It might change your life. Strange Kind of Woman is always a blessing. Blackmore and Gillan have an ironic guitar-vocal battle there to be forever reminded. I love that song, actually.

Then Lazy and Space Truckin' to close the first part. Both are masterpieces from Machine Head (that means they are very known) and besides their known qualities, they give us a couple of beautiful and unforgettable improvisations and jams.

But when you were starting to think that nothing could be better than this, DP gives us the encores! Black Night, Speed King and a huge cover of Al Collins's Lucille. Dude, this is pure magic. Is impossible to know how they did it, what was into Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Glover and Gillan for doing such a masterpiece. There is no answer for this album. It's simply a masterpiece. Have it or die, dude.

Greatest Live album ever by an underrated band. - 100%

maidenpriest, June 8th, 2004

Deep Purple is my favourite band of all time. Of course, I go through listening phases. At times my brain will demand heavier music and I'll suddenly love thrash or something (Megadeth), and I've always loved Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, they're my other favourites, but Deep Purple always pull me back. And the first CD I listen to when I rediscover Deep Purple (for the umpteenth time)? Yep, it's Made In Japan. Why? Because it's the best rock record, certainly the best live record, ever. And not many people dispute that (the latter statement at least)

Deep Purple have always seemed to me a band that was underrated, since their most famous song (Smoke on the Water) is actually nowhere near their best song. They had great songs from all eras of the band, but the only era that gained even remote commercial recognition was the Mk2 lineup. The other lineups have been routinely shunned by the press, and some even by the fans (JLT era). Apart from the aforementioned JLT era, I'd say that every single DP era had something great to offer, but that doesn't change this being THE essential DP release. I don't mean to be predictable, but this really is that good.

The show starts off with 'Highway Star'. Now this will rock your proverbial socks off if you don't hate rock music. I don't know one Hard Rock lover who can deny the sheer power of this song, and it was the song that made me love Rock music. Great musicianship from every band member. I remember going into my dad's study and he would play me this song on his record player. My first musical experience was the band that got a guiness world record for loudest concert ever! Thank you!

The next song is the beautiful 'Child In Time'. This is a really emotive piece, the keyboards at the start are really effective, and then Gillan sings so quietly 'sweet child in time, you'll see the line...' But nothing prepared you for this vocal performance. You'll just have to listen to it to believe it. Gillan in his prime was truly incredible. Some amazing solo work by guitarist Ritchie Blackmore later on in the song. The first time on this record that Gillan's vocals reached superhuman status.

Up next is our national anthem, 'Smoke on the Water'. As i said, this song is given far too much media attention from people who don't know DP, but it's still a great song. Blackmore's solo far eclipses his studio version. It's a brilliant song, done perfectly.

'The Mule' follows, basically a vehicle for Ian Paice's drum solo. I don't especially love drum solos, but this one clearly shows Paicey's great sense of rhythm and technical prowess.

'Strange Kind Of Woman' would be on the first side of the 2LP version, and you would miss out a second of the guitar intro to the song, but here, it leads on from the previous song, and adds to the experience without changing the classic mix of the original album. The middle section is crazy, I just love it. Ritchie plays a lick on his guitar and Gillan copies it, repeats it, then vice versa. This is the second point on the record that Gillan's vocals reached superhuman status.

Next up is 'Lazy', a great jazz-y blues-y kinda song, with an amazing organ intro by the man Jon Lord. A great bluesy lick from Blackmore, and the rest of the band rock out too. Gillan's vocals come in quite late, and they are very effective. When he screams, this makes the third time that the vocals reach superhuman status.

Last song on the original album is 'Space Truckin'', a rocking song with an amazing bit tagged on to the end, which lasts at least 10 minutes after the original song has finished. It is amazing, and a highlight of the album. Shame then, that some people consider it a downside to the album. The instrumental section at the end is amazing. Gillan's vocals are incredible, and at the end of the show, too. Jon Lord shows how good he is here.

The three extra songs on the album, Black Night, Speed King, and Lucille, though not great, a nice addition, but can't touch the quality of the original performance on the first disc. Well, no Purple is bad Purple!

All in all a great album for rock lovers, for heavy metal lovers (this is where heavy metal started, even though the music is not strictly speaking metal, it's blues- and classical-influenced hard rock), for guitar lovers (Ritchie is divine), for lovers of good singing (Gillan is unbelievably good), for bassists (Roger Glover's basslines are very technical and intricate). For keyboard and organ lovers, Jon Lord is the man. He really adds a texture to the songs. And lastly, the precision of Ian Paice is incredible. And you can feel he's enjoying being on stage and that his heart is really into it when he does those rolls, especially at the end of Space Truckin and during the Guitar-Vocals duel in Strange Kind of Woman. This is the best live album ever, from a time when rock music was played LOUD! Buy it and play it LOUD and tell me you don't love Deep Purple!

Just awesome - 100%

HawkMoon, August 24th, 2002

Reading the previous review, and it hit me that I was thinking the same thing about this album! Fucking weird. Anyhow, I've never been into Deep Purple much since their studio albums are.. quite boring. But this can be compared to 'Unleashed in the east', just as David says, just because it is a live album above all other live albums, so to say.

I never even got this one until just recently, I knew it was a kind of legendary album but never really tried it. So a couple of weeks ago I traded some crap albums for this with a friend of mine, I thought 'what the heck it could be cool to own' and I couldn't have been more right. As soon as I got to hear it I was like "wtf! is it really normal to do live albums like this??"

Okay first of all the dullness of the studio efforts is gone and some songs are made into long and improvised versions which always is a kick to listen to. And then there's the timeless rock classics "Smoke on the water" (but even in that one Blackmore improvises a little on the riff in the beginning) and "Highway star".