Brutal Nihilism - 95%

Razakel, January 27th, 2008

Here’s a great crushing technical rollercoaster from Poland’s Decapitated. It’s extremely sad that we may never hear anything from these death metal masters again due to the tragic accident last year resulting in the death of their young and legendary drummer Vitek and the severe injury of their new vocalist Coven. It’s sad because they were a very young band and an enormously talented one. In my opinion they never put out a bad album and 2002’s Nihility is no exception.

From the crunching guitars, thunder drums (RIP Vitek), and simply fierce vocals that this album opens with (Perfect Dehumanization) the listener is thrown into a war zone of technical mastery. The riffs are complex, the drums are blasting, and the tempos are everywhere. This is truly the work of underrated and truly talented musicians. Mother War features a great solo and the title track’s menacing riff will have you replaying the song several times before moving on to what’s to come. And what’s to come is massive. Spheres of Madness may be my personal favourite Decapitated song. It just has everything you could ask for in a technical death metal song with the inclusion of a great chorus with the lyrics “Salvation is nothing, nothing is salvation!” Truly genius. The rest of the album continues the onslaught and never lets up. All that I could ask for is more than eight tracks, but honestly there is no filler.

I don’t know what goes on in Poland but they sure seem to put out some heavy fucking bands (Behemoth, Vader, Vesania). So if you are in the mood for some neck breaking, ruthless, in your face heaviness I would recommend Nihility or any other Decapitated CD to you. It sounds quite different than their latest masterpiece, Organic Hallucinosis but I guess just because of the new vocalist. In honour of their fallen warrior pick this offering up and embrace the nihilism.